From:
Linda Morrison <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Linda Morrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Dec 1994 18:04:41 -0500
I will add my $.02 to this issue since I saw my name in print :-). First I will
confirm that Mike Machnik did suggest Army had a chance to beat RPI last
October.  Second, before I saw all the posts regarding this issue I
responded to Mr. Baer with what follows.  I can elaborate with specifics if
need be.

  Tom Morrison

Regarding your suggestion that RPI always loses to
inferior teams appears to me to include ANY RPI loss.  I
have developed the perception that RPI hockey and it's
supporters are a bunch of elitist chumps.  I have come to
this conclusion from reading the local (Albany) press
accounts of RPI's last two games with Army and last years
Xmas tournament. In fact, I know an Army player who was so
pissed off about the fabrication that appeared after last
years game that he carried it around for the entire year.
It must have paid off. :-)

No one would argue that Army is as good a hockey team as
RPI or as deep in hockey talent as any D-I school. You
don't need a Ph. D. to analyze the reason(s) for this
discrepancy.  They do however have some students who can
play hockey at the D-I level and this years squad is
capable of competing with many of the D-I teams. The loss
to Army must really bother RPI since it continues to come
up on the discussion list. This loss also continued to be
a local (Albany) press topic in subsequent articles I have
seen. It was an upset and those things do happen.

Commenting that Army is struggling with D-III teams is
interesting. What do you base your opinion on?  What D-
III games are you talking about and did you see those
games?  Were you at the Army\RPI game?  Have you seen Army
play?

Army has two D-III losses.  Army split with Canisus at
their place.  I assume you were not there, if you were I
believe you would not make light of a loss to the Griffs,
who are not that bad a "canadian" team, and who play in a
dump they call the Dann Memorial something.  Army did lose
to Hobart last week and that was a loss to an inferior
team as you would put it, however, upsets can happen to
teams other than RPI.  If your interested, this loss was
the direct result of the absence of Army's top two scorers
(45 pts. in 13 games) and an apparent "hot" goal tender.
Last years MVP (if  Army is good enough to have one) is
out with a broken foot and the other (hat trick in THE
UPSET) for the removal of his appendix.  Because of this,
and of course not being deep in talent, Army will struggle
until these two players get back in mid January.  I
believe this is evidenced by only beating Villanova 4-0
Saturday when Army usually scores 8 or 10 goals against
this team. They will probably lose to UCONN tonight but
that's the way it goes. In ten or twenty years it won't
matter.

tom morrison.