From:
TariAnne Texter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TariAnne Texter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Oct 1994 14:56:42 -0400
On Tue, 4 Oct 1994, Greg Berge wrote:

> TariAnne wrote, in (small) part:
>
> >  they can't afford to join NCAA Div-I
>
> Is there anyone on the list who has "seen the books" for a
> Div. I program?  Can you give us a feel for what a Div. I
> program costs (building, travel, staff, laundry...), and
> how much it brings in (attendence, concessions, NCAA
> revenue sharing).
>
> I assume that it aint cheap.

I don't know numbers, but I could get ahold of them.  Ferris State's
hockey program was slated to be cut because "how expensive" it is,
according to our now ex-president, Helen Popovich.  She wasn't popular at
all for this view, because it is seen through the eyes of the Big Rapids
community and Ferris community that having Div I hockey at Ferris brings
good nationwide publicity to Big Rapids and Ferris, which is true.

At the time of the hot debate of cutting hockey, numbers were printed in
the newspapers as to how much Ferris' hockey budget was, and it was, as I
remember, quite extravagant.

Tari
Go Bulldogs!