Sender:
From:
"Andria L. Hunter" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Sep 1993 14:53:23 -0400
I just posted this article to rec.sport.hockey, and I thought that
you folks here may also be interested:

[log in to unmask] (Dave Hendrickson) writes:

>Info was requested on Erin Whitten, the second female goalie to play in an
>NHL game.  I've copied this from the college hockey discussion list.

>        From Jim Farrell  <[log in to unmask]> : Erin Whitten's
>        college team was the University of New Hampshire Wildcats.  At UNH,
>        Whitten played in 72 games, over four years, with a record of
>        51-14-4, a goals-against-average of 2.40, and a save percentage
>        of .910.  Not many male collegiate goalies can boast comparable
>        stats.

I have played on the same team as both Manon Rheaume and Erin Whitten.

I played for the 1992 Team Canada that won the World Championships
in Tampere Finland in April 1992.  Manon Rheaume was our goalie.

I attended UNH (on a women's ice hockey scholarship) from '86 until '90
and played on the same team as Erin during my last 2 years of play there.
Erin was the number one goalie for UNH while I was there.  She also was
the starting goalie for Team USA at the World Championships in Tampere
Finland in April 1992.

The only game that these two goalies have faced each other in was the
Gold Medal game at the World Championships in 1992.  We (Team Canada)
defeated Team USA by a score of 8-0, to win the World Championships.
This was actually the only time I have had the opportunity to play
AGAINST Erin Whitten ... and hey, she can't be that good of a goalie
if even I managed to score on her in that 8-0 game! ;-)  Just kidding!

The saves in that game were as follows:

Saves:     Erin Whitten USA 8+5+18=31
           Manon Rheaume CAN 4+11+6=21

I have fired many shots at both of these goalies, and I would say that
Manon Rheaume is the superior goalie of the two.  I found it easier to
score on Erin Whitten, but maybe that's because I spent more time shooting
against her (during practice at UNH) and thus knew her weeknesses more.
Also, Erin may have improved significantly in the last three years (since
I left UNH in 1990).  Manon Rheaume was really VERY impressive compared to
other women goalies who I have shot against.  I would take a shot that I
just knew had to go in, and she would pull a pad/glove/stick/you-name-it
from out of no where to rob me!  &#$^&#$! :-)

Andria Hunter

|        ...  She shoots!     ......    She scoooooores!!!                |
|      z z   .       z z  \_.         z z              z z           | |  |