Sender:
From:
"David M. Josselyn" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Oct 1994 03:43:45 -0500
At 11:45 PM 10/4/94 -0400, Mike Machnik wrote:
>Andrew Smith writes:
>>...and I'm sure that if you have a
>>campus-owned rink, the team prob. would not have to pay for ice time.  Esp.
>>if an emphasis is placed on hockey.
>
>Actually, I believe it would be unusual for a team not to be charged
>for ice time, even at its own rink.  Remember that in many ways, a
>university is a business, and like a business, everything has to be
>accounted for.  If one department borrows equipment or personnel from
>another department, the first is charged back for the cost of that
>which is borrowed.  Similarly, I believe that the athletic department,
>even the hockey program, would be charged back for the use of ice and
>this would need to be budgeted for.

Hate to do this, Mike...

but last time I checked, Merrimack was not charging. Captain's practices,
when they occur, are scheduled just like any other open rink time for MC
students-- which is free of charge. At times there is truly "open" rink
time for free, but the captains choose the student-only times to call
practices, usually late at night when they are likely to have the rink all
to themselves.

When such time isn't available (due to high school hockey practices and
whatnot) Merrimack players DID chip in beer money to buy time at Brooks
School's rink up the street.

With regards to the possible violation of the rule's spirit, I think we're
not giving enough credit to the initiative of the players and captains. At
MC while I was there, the organization of those practices was entirely up
to the captains and the team. The attendance levels and makeup  of the
practices varied with the personality of each team (and, not incidentally,
each captain :-) ) .

In fact, other Merrimack students were not barred from taking to the ice
during a captain's practice (although they'd better keep their heads up...)
I did get a chance to play in a couple of practices, too... the game is a
lot faster from down there, that's fer sure....

David M. Josselyn
Graduate Student
GSO Vice President
Syracuse University