From:
Ken Goldenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ken Goldenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Mar 1995 10:48:12 -0500
Ralph Baer wrote:
>A quote from US Today:  "ESPN's Josh Krulewitz said lengthiness of
>Thursday's three-overtime college hockey game caused the satellite
>time to expire, causing the cablecast to miss Maine's winning goal.
>Instead, viewers got it on tapled replay."
>
>I still don't believe they would have let this happen for b-ball.

Well, Hockey-L'ers aren't the only ones who are, um, *miffed*

In today's Boston Globe (without permission):
---------------------------

"ESPN signals crossed"

ESPN blew it yesterday with the college hockey game for the ages.

The first period of the thrilling triple-overtime NCAA semifinal between Maine
and Michigan was shifted froim ESPN to ESPN2 in order to allow the long-running
Family Circle Cup tennis match between Amanda Coetzer and Arantxa Sanchez
Vicario be seen in its entirety.

The network apparently concluded that a third-round match at a routine
tournament took precedence over a Final Four NCAA hockey game.  ESPN had 64
million subscribers, ESPN2 18 million.

Almost four hours later, ESPN was showing an interview with golfer Raymond Floyd
at the Tradition, a PGA Seniors tournament in Scottsdale, Ariz. when the game's
winning goal was scored.

ESPN's Josh Krulewitz said the overtime blackout was caused by the inability to
reconnect with the satellite transponder that was transmitting hockey pictures
from Providence.

"We moved as quickly as we could," Krulewitz said.  It was not quick enough and
the tape of Maine's winning goal 28 seconds into the third overtime was shown 10
minutes after the fact.

Ken ([log in to unmask])