From:
Geoff Howell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 28 Mar 1995 18:34:21 -0400
One of my all-time favorites was a Cornell/Colgate response.
After a penalty to an opposing player expired, the announcer would
say "Princeton (or whoever) returns to full strength," and the fans
would add "... and they still suck!" I know the Lynah and Starr
crowds did it in 88-89 and maybe in 89-90, but I haven't heard
an announcer set up this up since - I assume that announcements
during play have been banned/discouraged. Cornell fans also
popularized the "Princeton's in New Jersey" chant and "baldy,
baldy" when former hair-deprived head coach Jim Higgins came
out to the bench at the start of each period.

As for the effect of 'Sieving' or generally harrassing the goalies,
I've heard different players say different things. Princeton's
James Konte credited the Brown fans for keeping him in the game
in the Tigers' 2OT win over the Bears during the ECAC quarter-
finals via their constant chatter. Jason Elliott of Cornell,
on the other hand, told me that it took him awhile to get used
to the ribbing from opposing fans - although he did appreciate
the 'Elliott' (point at him), 'Idiot' (point at the other goalie)
chant at Lynah Rink.

Lastly, the first Division I game I ever attended was a Harvard/Yale
game in New Haven many years back. I'll never forget the way the
entire crowd (or so it seemed) collectively jumped up and began
the 'Sieve' chant while pointing at the Harvard goalie after the
Eli's first goal. Especially in a small building like the Whale,
it was just amazing.

Geoff Howell
The Trenton Times
Drop the Puck