From:
"Cheryl A. Morris" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cheryl A. Morris
Date:
Thu, 16 Mar 1995 21:53:40 EST
Steve W. asks about the real reason for the ECAC Tournament relocating out of
the Garden.  As I remember, it was more an issue of a separate identidy for
the ECAC.  By the time that the ECAC tired of Boston, Hockey East was steadily
eclipsing the ECAC in fan support in the Eastern New England area, particularly
Boston.  It was always that way.  I can recall back around 1984, 84, 86 or
thereabouts, that the ECAC tournament was the big dog in the Garden, in fact the
attendance for the HE confab was a virtual wipe-out.  Things started changing
in the late '80's, maybe in part to the woeful marketing machinery the ECAC
was exhibiting, which IMHO remains today.  As a result the ECAC came up with
adopting Lake Placid as its spiritual home, and attempted to build a base of fan
support separate and distinct from the HE's.

As others have posted, it is probably obvious my opinion of the Lake Placid
experience--it's cozy, intimate, non-stressful, and a big mistake.  Putting your
showcase away from the media centers, and the general hockey population is an
idea on the marketing mavens of the ECAC could come up with...................................................................................  Last time the
league considered changing venues, to Albany's Knick of course, Ned Harkness put
together a plate of sweeteners the ECAC guys couldn't resist.  So look where
Ned is now!  But I'm guessing the ECAC's will stay in Lake Placid simply for
the fact that there is no where else to go now.  Albany would probably take t
them, but there won't be an aggressive bid like last year.  There are a lot more
events to fill the seats in March in Albany, and the Knick folks like playing
ball with the NC$$ for both hockey and basketball.

But maybe the ECAC could at least locate a network who will oadcast their ga
games, other than a cable outfit which only those living in Buffalo can receive.
No wonder everyone views the league as hockey's poor step sister.
Brian Morris                     Nothing to Lose.  Go RPI!