From:
Bill Schneller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Schneller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Mar 1995 22:45:40 -0400
I think Mike M's analysis was right on the money.  Since Feb this has not
been the same PC team.  The biggest individual contributor has been Bob
Bell in goal.  Injured just a few games into the season, he didn't return
until Christmas.  After that, he and Dan Dennis continued to alternate
until Bell earned the job for keeps.  PC dominated BU in the 8-1 win but
BU was not without their chances.  Bell has to get the credit for what
I think was the turning point in their season.

Chad Quennville has proven himself capable of scoring when they need it most
but his stickhandling ability is even a greater asset because of the
attention that must be paid to him, freeing up his linemates for those
odd-man situations.  Several other of the youngsters have also played
important roles- most noticably Stephan Brannare who never got much ice
while playing under Mike McShane.  Several sophs have shown great
improvement as they get a full HE season under their belts.

The biggest single change in this team has been their confidence.  A
couple big wins will do that for you.  They're now playing like they
believe they can win.  So does Paul Pooley get credit for getting them to
peak at just the right time?  Or did it just take a little longer than
the Friar Faithful would have preferred to get them playing the way he
wanted them to?  That I cant answer, and I'm not sure it really matters.
What does count is that they're going to the Gahden and for the longest
time not many people thought that would ever happen.

One question for the UNH followers:  why Cavichi (sp) and not Heinke.
Wasn't Heinke the go-to guy?  And as a transfer from PC I doubt he would
have had any problem getting up for this one.

--Bill