From:
Steve Czuba RPI <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 16 Nov 1994 16:49:48 -0500
I don't think the descision/attempt to change from RPI to Rensselaer stems from
anything to do with hockey, although I agree they should be consistant in their
uniforms if they do 'change'.

I seem to recall a few years ago receiving alot of mail regarding the new symbol
that the school would use, rather than the RPI with a circle around it. It's the
Rensselaer with the bar underneath. It had something to do with the purported
'image' of an abbreviated school. This to me is completely ridiculous since I'm
sure anyone could name numerous examples of fine institutions that go by
initials or just plain abbreviations (CalTech,MIT, etc.)

It seems also that they've been phasing this name 'change' in over the last few
years, but it will take a while before RPI is forgotten, and it probably never
will be. For people who don't know what it stands for, too bad. But tell them it's not in Rochester NY.

steve
Rensselaer 86 --- Ooo doesn't that look nice - too bad no one who didn't go
there can spell it.