From:
Charlie Slavin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 16 Nov 1994 15:04:01 -0500
Mike writes..

> Joe Carr writes:

> >Jim Montgomery, whose third period natural hat trick led Maine
> >to a 5-4 national championship game win over Lake Superior in
> >1993, will have his number 19 retired before Friday night's
> >game against Providence.
>
> This is great news - thanks, Joe!  Several times over the last year or
> so, we have had discussions about how Montgomery deserved this honor...
> it is nice to hear that it is going to happen.
>
> The PC-Maine game will be on NESN Friday night - was this game chosen
> so that the event would be on tv?  When was the decision made?  It
> seems a little odd that we only find out 3 days beforehand.

I can't answer any of Mike's questions, but I did hear Shawn Walsh
interviewed on his weekly radio show last night.  He and Joe Carr (I
think!) were discussing the fact that Paul Kariya had been invited to
attend the retirement ceremony for Jim Montgomery's number.  Kariya
chose not to attend, evidently his primary reason was to not be a
"distraction" on Montgomery's night.

Another interesting observation...#19 had not been worn since
Montgomery left Maine, but #9 is currently being worn by freshman
Shawn Warnsborough (sp?).

Later, Charlie

Charlie Slavin                               [log in to unmask]
Department of Mathematics
University of Maine                          "It's a great day for hockey"
Orono, Maine 04469-5752                             Bob Johnson 1931-1991