From:
"Scott S. Biggar" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 8 Nov 1994 05:56:19 PST
I am kind of confused over a situation that came up this weekend during the
championship game of the RIT tourney between RIT and Fredonia.  As seen on
Hockey-L and other places, one of the rules changes this season dealt with
coincidental minors.  It was my understanding that the compromise rule was that
the first set of coincidental minors of a game would result on each team losing
a skater, ie 4 on 4.  But that every set of coincidental minors after that
would not result in the loss of a skater, ie each team would remain at 5 on 5,
etc.

But in the RIT vs. Fredonia game, there were three sets of coincidental minors
and each time they put both minors on the board and each team lost a skater for
the duration of the penalties.  Did the refs just blow this situation?  Did Div
1 change their rules to reflect the above and Div III stay with the old rules?

Personally, I think the rules stated above are confusing and the powers that be
should go one way or the other.  Either always have both teams lose a skater,
or let the teams keep the same number of skaters and just put the offenders in
the box.

Myself and a few others that follow both Hockey-L and Hockey-3 were talking
about this exact situation before the game and how it would confuse most of the
fans if it should happen.  And then when they called the second coincidental
minors and removed skaters, we looked at each other and just scratched our
heads.

Scott Biggar                    Phone:  (716) 427-5668
EDS Corporation         Internet:       [log in to unmask]
Henrietta, NY                   RIT `89, UR `94
All opinions expressed in this mail can in no way be attributed to my employer.