From:
Rick Scero <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 4 Oct 1994 15:57:34 EDT
*Message:
From: SCERO at OLEC
Date: 10/4/94 3:48PM
To: INTERNET:[log in to unmask] at OCF_INFORM
Subject: Re[2]: NHL in 1998 Olympics
Contents:

MC Writes:
>Look at olympic basketball since the Dream Team showed up:  Who cares now to
>know who will win the silver?  I wouldn't want that to happen to ice hockey.

I don't see this happening in hockey. Other countries are much closer in talent
levels with Canada, Russia and the US in hockey than they are in Basketball.
You only need to look at the influx of foreign players in the NHL versus the
number in the NBA.

I think opening the competition to the professionals here only levels the
playing field.  Other countries have been using professionals for years under
the guise of "They're in the army/navy/etc.. they're not paid to play hockey."
Even though the only basic training they performed was on a 200 X 80 sheet of
ice.  Until other countries agree to send true amatuers, the only way we will be
competitive on a regular basis is to allow our professionals to go also.

Rick Scero