Sender:
From:
"Robert H. Gross" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Nov 1994 13:53:28 EST
--- Mike wrote:
I would be interested to know whether this is definitely NOT true for
HE.  My impression is that it is actually true or nearly the case at
Merrimack, and it may be at other HE schools too.  The difference
seems to be that either the ECAC has effectively mandated it for
its schools, or that ECAC schools have unanimously agreed to do this.
HE allows the schools to make this decision on their own, with the
obvious contingency that the minimum NC$$ standards are met.  Yet it
doesn't mean that all HE schools are admitting players with
qualifications below those of the rest of the students.  They *could*,
however, and this seems to be what Steve is referring to.
--- end of quoted material ---
My understanding is that the major difference between schools like Dartmouth
(with which I am familiar) and some schools in HE (ALL HE schools?) is one of
athletic scholarships. I don't know if it can be said that admissions
standards for student athletes are different from those for non-athletes at
any particular school or in a league as a whole. My point is that at
Dartmouth, scholarship support for hockey plays is identical to that for
other students, and I believe this to be true at other Ivy schools (is it?).
That is, they have the same probability of receiving support as any other
Dartmouth student in the form of scholarship, work study, or other means.
Many of the players on the team have to pay the (not insignificant) tuition
to attend here. There may be scholarships at non-Ivy ECAC schools, but I am
not sure (anyone know?).

I know of a few cases where players have made decisions to go to HE schools
instead of Dartmouth because they were offered athletic scholarships. This
makes it more difficult to attract the top players to the ECAC, because the
pool to choose from is smaller.

Bob Gross