Sender:
From:
Dave Hendrickson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Nov 1994 14:06:08 EST
I got home from my own hockey game after 1 ayem, and decided to watch the tape
of the winning goal by Lowell's Jeff Daw in last night's game.  I got the tape
positioned near the end of the game and heard only about a minute's worth of
the game but Bob Gamere's incompetence was of supernova brilliance in the
mere 60 seconds.  Aside from calling Merrimack "Merry-mack" and mispronouncing
a Merrimack player's name, he then proceeded on the winning goal to credit it
to Greg Bullock.  This was a clear wrist shot from the top of the circle by
*right-handed* Jeff Daw and he gave it to *lefty* Greg Bullock.  He didn't
even make an immediate correction.  His partner was left to do that.  This
was not some scramble in front of the net, or some play with two players near
each other, or even a play involving the other team.  This is his own team and
involved a clear forehand shot by a righty.  It looked more like Phyllis Diller
than a backhander by a lefty.

Gamere is in trouble with UML because he runs a betting service.  UML has
stated that they do not have the right to veto an announcer, but they will get
it in future contracts with WNDS and have requested that WNDS state on the
broadcasts that the school currently does not have this right.  Gamere has
contended that there is no conflict since his betting service doesn't even
include hockey.  (Of course it doesn't.  He'd have to know what he was talking
about then.)

I think UML will get rid of him as soon as they contractually can because of
the betting angle.  IMO his incompetence should be sufficient.  The guy can't
announce his way out of a paper bag.

DaveH