Sender:
Date:
Thu, 29 Sep 1994 13:14:40 EDT
Comments:
Warning -- original Sender: tag was [log in to unmask]
There was a reference to Ken Burns doing a hockey documentary on
Sportschannel America's "Sports Writers on TV" (a great show: Rick
Telander of SI and three other Chicago area writers sitting around a
table chomping on cigars and talking sports..).  When they cut away
to commercial a message typed up on the screen saying:
Will Ken Burns do a documentary called "Hockey" if the NHL goes on strike?
Food for thought, but not likely to happen, as Mike has posted.

Back to the ESPN/college hockey string for a moment, I have gotten a
lot of email from people saying that its no use writing to ESPN because
someone at the network believes that croquet, lumberjacks, mountain
climbing and other "sports" are actually going to be watched.
I don't think that is necessarily true.  If you have ever actually
watched one of these events (Ok, I saw men chopping wood on ESPN and
wondered what the hell was going on, so I watched for a few minutes...)
you'd see that in the background, prominently displayed for the "crowd"
on-hand, and the camera as well, large banners with the name of the event,
flanked by company logos; they inevitably read "Bud Light" or another
beer company.  I think that the beer companies sponsor these events,
and then go to ESPN and other networks and press them into covering
them to ensure exposure.  What I am hoping is that enough people
would send them messages that we want college hockey so that they
realize that there is a market for it.And if there is a market for
it, then they can make money off of it, and therefore they will show it.
It might be a long shot, but stranger things have happened...

John Forsyth

"You throw a sinker so that the batter hits it into the ground, if it
doesn't sink, the batter drives it out into that triangle, and its a
double, maybe a triple.  Then you'd have a runner on third and less
than two out, so you can't let the batter hit it, you've got to strike
him out.  So then you throw a cross-seam fastball...
which I don't have."     - Bill "Spaceman" Lee on "Baseball"