Sender:
From:
"Dr. Stephen Roth @ Student Services" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Aug 1994 14:59:44 -0400
Charlie asked:
>Okay, but how about this scenario...
>
>I'm a mathematics major (junior) and I enrol in these 5 courses...
>
>Abstract Algebra (math)
>Partial Differential Equations (math)
>Social Anthropology (anthro)
>Computer Graphics (comp sci)
>Accounting (business)
>
>That's 15 credits of reasonable courses, but only 9 of those credits,
>the two math course and the anthro (fulfilling a distribution
>requirement for the BA degree) count towards my "program of study."
>Does that make me ineligible?
>
>If the answer to the last question is "yes", this is one of the
>silliest rules I've ever heard of...NCAA or otherwise!

Well, there's always "free electives"  -- IF they count towards the degree
program (some majors don't really allow for free electives).  In any event,
the answer indeed is YES, but it's not silly, Charlie.  All the NCAA is
trying to do here is to insure that a student-athlete really is a bona fide
student working towards a degree.  The level of specificity contained in
the rule wouldn't be necessary if there hadn't been so much blatant
dishonesty going on among certain teams at certain schools.  Certainly
computer science and accounting sound reasonable.  Try substituting "weight
lifting (6 credits)" or "basketball theory and lab (3+2 credits)" and
you'll better understand the need for the rule.

BTW, someone earlier wrote an opinion that the NCAA probably wouldn't
penalize the Maine athletes, since they were advised by university
personnel to take the courses they took.  Guess again.  Within the NCAA,
"lack of institutional control" is a MAJOR sin.  Maine's lack of awareness
of the rules, coupled by the absence of any actual oversight, spells "no
control."  It is entirely possible that athletes will be ruled ineligible.
What, after all, is Maine going to plead?  Ignorance of the rules?

Dr. Stephen E. Roth                        BITNET:            ROTH@CANISIUS
Dean of Student Services                 INTERNET:  [log in to unmask]
Canisius College                            PHONE:           (716) 888-2522
Buffalo, New York 14208                       FAX:           (716) 888-2525