From:
Tony Biscardi <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tony Biscardi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Oct 1993 01:13:54 -0400
Well, Mike Machnik, Heather, Adam Bryant, and I all went to the
BC vs USA hockey game tonight. (Wed)

Although we enjoyed ourselves, the game did not have much excitement.

Team USA won the game 9-3, outshooting BC 51-26 (I'm not sure of the 26)

It was 9-1 with apx three minutes to go in the game, BC just came on
strong as Team USA thought they were in the showers or heading home already

A few observations and opinions:
#1  Team USA is in a LOT of trouble.  Garth Snow made many beautiful saves,
saves that would have made Maine people proud, but the USA defense should
NEVER have allowed all those chances (not that good anyway).

#2  BC is going to be a lot more solid than we previously thought.
Although BC lacks the talent to execute and convert many chances (read
missed one-timers and blown slappers), the fact is that they worked hard
and played well positionally.  They gave USA trouble early by playing
tight defense.  USA adjusted, but it was still scary for a bit.

#3  BC will come in last in HE if Singewald is their goalie.  Many of the
goals were not his fault (great plays by better teams), but many were.
He looked weak in net and lost at many times.  His defense saved him on
many occasions (except when he lost his stick and no one would give him
one - No goal was scored, but still dumb on BC's part)  If this new goalie
is as bad as he looked at first, BC will be 7th or 8th in HE.  If this new
goalie is as good as he looked the last 4 minutes of the game, BC could
be a threat to finish 4th or 5th in HE.  We will see.

#4  One combo for USA that was tried mid-way through the game that seemed to
deliver good results was the pairing of Dave Sacco (BU) with Peter Ferraro
(Maine) and some other forward (insignificant as those two set each other
up with good chances.)  Sacco can pass and Ferraro has speed.

#5  The Maine combo on D of Imes and Martin was the only good pair on the ice
for USA tonight.  There was one other individual who stood out on the power-
play for USA.  I forget his name, but he was out of Minn-Duluth and it was
NOT Derek Plante.

#6  BC can not handle traffic for a game.  For a 1/3 full arena, the garage
was full and the traffic jam was horrible.  If you go to a hockey game at
BC, take the `T'... You'll be glad you did.

On side notes, there was a mini-game (5 min) between the Jr. Eagles (BC) and
the Jr. Terriers (BU) during the first intermission.  The score was 0-0 but
we all loved it.  I must report that there was more hitting amongst these
8 year-olds than there had been in the entire 20 min 1st period of the "real"
game.  Heather and Mike asked if the kids could keep playing and the Olymians
and Eagles just come on and play during the kids' intermissions.
I must say, the crowd was more excited and the competition more fierce amongst
the little ones than the "real" ones dreamed of.  It was fun.

Heather says "hi" to all she's sorry she has not been able to get on the list
lately.

All-in-all, Heather, Mike, Adam and I enjoyed ourselves and were glad we went.
If anyone is going to the BU-USA game this Friday let us know.  I know I am
going.  (If you don't have tix, try calling (617) 353-3838)
The other possible Hockey-L game is NU vs. UND since it happens the night
before opening night at our own rinks.  It is next Friday evening at
Northeastern.  It should be good.

See ya all
Tony  BU'92'93
Ogre (T-minus 9 days and counting)