From:
Jim Baines <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Mar 91 12:14:39 EST
Okay, as a Maine fan I could go on sulking over our 5-3 loss to North-
ern Michigan in the NCAA semifinals.  But I choose not to (well, to be
honest, I already did my sulking for two hours after the game).  Instead,
I must look on the proverbial bright side:
    - Maine went 32-9-2 this season, which is a .750 mark.
    - Maine had its fourth consecutive 30-win season (which no other
            school has).
    - Maine was not even expected to get to the final four (let alone
            the #1 seed in the East!)
    - and, Maine only has ONE senior on the team this year! (Straub)
True, someone could leave the team and turn pro, but I don't see it,
not yet.  And some players could play in the Olympics, but that still
means we could have them back for the playoffs (like Eric Weinrich back
in 1986).  Face it, Maine will be the team to beat next season.

As for the semifinal game, I've NEVER seen a team handle Maine this
year like NMU did.  My hats are off to them; they played an excellent
game against our Blue.  I really hope they TROUNCE Boston University in
the final.  I know, I know, I should be loyal to my conference, but in
BU's case, I just can't rise to the occassion.  Beside, it'll make us
look better knowing that the team that won the title is the team that
beat us in the semis.

Once again, no-one has handled Maine like NMU did, and that includes
Boston University (who has beaten us, but not like that!).  That's why
I pick Northern Michigan, 6-3, over the Terriers.  Congratulations
Wildcats, and best of luck in the championship.

|Jim Baines, a.k.a. "Sportscaster",  BITNET: IO60312@MAINE           |
|"Fill the Steins to Dear Old Maine..."  GO BLACK BEARS!!!           |
| Four straight 30-win seasons. Way to go!! M! A! I! N! E! Gooo BLUE!|