From:
Greg Sorenson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 24 May 1994 18:23:09 CDT
Here's what I know and/or suspect (and as always, I suspect more than I
know):

BOWLING GREEN
Brad Holzinger          6-0     176     C       Parma, OH

Related to Brian, possibly?

FERRIS STATE
Jeff Blashill           6-1     185     G       Sault Ste. Marie, MI

Played for the Des Moines Buccaneers of the USHL. Made the recruiting rounds
last year (MSU was looking, among others) before opting for another year of
juniors.

MICHIGAN
Marty Turco (#9)        5-10    165     G       Sault Ste. Marie, ONT

Expect him to have the full-time starting job within the first week of the
season.

MICHIGAN STATE
Kevin Harper (#252)     6-3     185     D       Scarborough, ONT

Brother of Kelly, perhaps?...same hometown. If so, is there a Kip Harper a few
years down the road? : )

Mike Watt (#40)         6-2     210     LW      Seaforth, ONT
Interesting story about this guy...Seaforth is Ron Mason's hometown, and
apparently Mike has wanted to play at State all his life. In 1993 he was
expected to go as high as No.2 in the OHL draft, but stated publicly that he did
not wish to be drafted, and wanted to play at MSU. Some viewed this as a ploy
to avoid being drafted by once specific team (I forget which). Anyway, he was
eventually drafted, although in a later round. Obviously he stuck to his guns.

Other notes...

Four kids from the Soo recruited by schools other than LSSU, and three
recruited from the Chicago area by schools other than UIC. The fact that MSU
took two CHI kids is interesting. State has had three of them in the past few
years: Steve Suk, who panned out; Scott Dean, who didn't; and Rob Woodward,
who either fit his niche well or didn't produce as well as expected, depending on
who you talk to. Blake Sloan's impressive debut for Michigan has probably
increased the Chicago metro's stock.

Also, Alaska-Fairbanks gets the 1994 Ceramic Gopher for recruiting entirely
in-state. ; P

Greg Sorenson
**Carthage College**
**Division III Baseball Central Region Champs, 1993, 1994**
**Div. III World Series, May 26-31, Battle Creek, MI**