From:
Tony Biscardi <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tony Biscardi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 May 1994 23:35:59 -0400
The Boston Globe recently listed all the Hockey East, ECAC, and New England
div II and III recruits.  Players were listed by college with a side list on
where the Globe All-Scholastics are going.

I am just going to list the Hockey East recruits (with an occassional comment).
If someone would like a post of any ECAC or div II/III schools, just let me
know.

NAME             POSITION   PREVIOUS TEAM (& league)         HOMETOWN

BOSTON COLLEGE:

Tom O'Connor       D      Springfield Cathedral High School  Springfield, MA
Jamie O'Leary      F      St. Sebastian's, Northwood Prep    MA
Ken Hemenway       D      Omaha, Neb. High School            Anchorage, Alaska
Timmy Lewis        F      Avon Old Farms                     Westwood, MA
Mike Correia       G      Avon Old Farms                     Tewksbury, MA
Luke Howarth       LW     Phillips Exeter Academy            Beverly, MA

COMMENTS:

The only player I have seen before is Jamie O'Leary, and I wasn't really
watching him, so I can not make any real comments.

BOSTON UNIVERSITY:

Chris Drury        F      Fairfield Prep                     Trumbull, Conn.
Chris Kelleher     D      St. Sebastian's                    Belmont, MA
Jeff Kealty        D      Catholic Memorial                  Framingham, MA
Tom Noble          G      Catholic Memorial                  Hanover, MA
Mike Sylvia        F      Catholic Memorial                  Newton, MA

COMMENTS:

Chris Drury is the younger brother of Harvard's Ted Drury.
Kelleher is big, but his work ethic has been questioned by some on the HS level
Kealty is thin, but his talent and vision on the ice is very impressive.  He's
  a mix of Kaj Linna and Chris O'Sullivan. (1/2 way between)
Noble is highly touted (drafted by Chicago after Jr. yr of HS), but his play
  against future div I players at St. John's Prep and St. Sebastian's has made
  some question whether he's quite ready for the jump.
Sylvia is a good, all-around player who looks like he'll do just fine at BU.
  He is a good pick-up.

MAINE:

Dany Bousquet      F      Penticton (BCJHL)                  Montreal, Quebec
Jeff Foster        D      Smith Falls (COJHL)                Napanee, Ontario
Tony Tempestilli   F      Montreal Bourassa (Midget AAA)     Montreal, Quebec
Shawn Wansborough  F      Smith Falls (COJHL)                Deseronto, Ontario
Brian White        D      Arlington Catholic High School     Burlington, MA

COMMENTS:

Being that I am from Burlington and not Montreal or Ontario, the only player I
have seen is White.  He looks like he'll need some work, but he'll be good in
time.  Otherwise, I have only seen the numbers on the others.  Well, I don't
know if they can hit or play defense, but it *looks* like these guys will be
able to score.

UMASS-AMHERST:

Chris Fawcett      F      ???                               Gloucester, Ontario
Mike Gaffney       D      St. John's High School            Shrewsbury, MA
Brad Norton        D      Cushing Academy                   Acton, MA
Anthony Palmer     G      Winthrop High School              Winthrop, MA
Brian Regan        G      Westminster School

COMMENTS:

This school would be a terror in div II...  too bad they're going to be in
div I.  Gaffney is OK.  Palmer is going to UMass on football scholarship, and
will then try to join the team as a walk-on.

UMASS-LOWELL:

Shannon Basaraba   LW     Rochester Mustangs (USHL)         Intrntl Falls, Minn
Scott Fankhauser   G      Loomis-Chaffee School
Mike Henderson     D/F    Vernon (BCJHL)                    Brampton, Ontario
Chris Libett       D      Michigan Nationals (NAJHL)        W. Bloomfield, Mich
Mike Kinsley       F      Rhode Island Sharks (EJHL)        Franklin, MA
Mike Nicholishen   D      Wexford Raiders                   Mississauga, Ontar.
Adam Tramonte      F      Tyngsboro Huskies (EJHL)          Chelmsford, MA

COMMENTS:

I know nothing about any of these players.
If anyone knows, I am curious as to what exactly is the EJHL.  Thanks.

MERRIMACK:

Martin Laroche     F      Brockville Braves                 Cornwall, Ontario
Tom O'Grady        F      Bramalea Blues                    Brampton, Ontario
Gaeten Poirier     F      Gloucester Rangers                Saint-Antoine, NB
Jim Sapienza       F      North Quincy High School          North Quincy, MA
Chris Silvestro    D      Canterbury Prep                   West Yarmouth, MA
Angus Patterson    F      St. Mark's                        Dover, Delaware

COMMENTS:

Merrimack grabs one of the two public school All-Scholastics to be able to go
div I (real div I).  The other is headed for UMass-Amherst.

NEW HAMPSHIRE:

Pat Bottino        D      NECDL Classics                    Bellmawr, NJ
Bob Gagnon         F      Avon Old Farms                    S Windsor, Conn
Kris Hanson        F      St. John's Prep                   MA
Mark Mowers        F      Dubuque Fighting Saints           Whitesboro, NY
Eric Nickulas      F      Cushing Academy                   Osterville, MA

COMMENTS:

I am glad to see Hanson and UNH came together.  I think they are a good match.
Hanson will be able to put the puck into the net, the only question is whether
he will be able to elevate the rest of his game.  I really think he will do
will up there though.

NORTHEASTERN:

Scott Campbell     C      ????                              Plattsburgh, NY
Justin Kearns      RW     ????                              Toledo, Ohio

COMMENTS:

NU, a team that came within one sleeping goal-judge of upsetting Lake State,
graduated almost nobody.  Who cares what the recruits are like.  Look out!

PROVIDENCE:

Lewis Kinvig       F      Merritt Centenials (BCJHL)        Ashcroft, BC
Mike Mader         D      Loomis Chaffee School             S. Windsor, Conn
John Tuohy         D      Kent School                       Baldwin, NY

COMMENTS:

Does it matter?  Unless the new coach is a miracle worker, they'll be in for a
long season.

Other notes:

The player from Arlington who I mentioned earlier this year, Andy Powers,
serious div I talent who is rumored to be someone who would have trouble
spelling S.A.T., (he is supposedly a nice kid, though) has opted to not go
into the college ranks and instead play Junior Hockey.  His hockey talents
are there, maybe he just needs a year to develop intellectually.  Whether or
not he plays college, those of us who follow HS hockey wish him well.

Looking at the breakdown, certain patterns jump out.

BC, the Catholic school, recruits mostly in the prep/private/indep schools.
BU, the private school, recruits mostly from the Catholic Schools.
If you're not from Mass, this would be confusing, but if you grow up here, it
is quite understandable. (ask me about it sometime)

Maine recruited mostly in Canada.  It could be that there was just not as much
talent graduating from EMass this year, or the recent scandals have hurt Maine
in the region, or some combo of both.

UMass is the only school getting more than one player from an EMass public.

Merrimack has three from Canada, but, as Mike mentioned earlier, they have to.

There is a pool of talent in Mass that Lowell is recruiting from that I know
nothing about.

There are no players entering Hockey East from the Springfield Olympics.  hmm.

Where from breakdown: (just for Hockey East)

New England Prep/Indep schools:   12

Mass Catholic:                     7

Mass Public:                       3

Mass ????:                         2