From:
Richard Hungerford <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard Hungerford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Feb 1993 11:05:27 EST
Last night's match was easily forgetable.  If you are a dyed in the
wool Harvard fan, it was good that they got the win.  Yale can be
pleased that at last, they are showing signs of an improving team.

In the first period Francie Walton scored a power play goal.  She
skated down the left wing and flipped the puck into the net at the
far post.  I would mention there were more penalties than is usual
in Women's hockey.  The reason for that was Harvard's attitude, which
I will get into below.  In the second period Yale tied the game on a
power play goal when Eve Rose (Katherine Michel, Cathy Jones) dumped
in a shot from the right wing.  Harvard immediately went out and
scored what proved to be the game winning goal.  Jo-anne Alissi (Kim
Landry, Stacy Kellogg) poked home her own rebound, after Yale's goalie
had failed to hold onto the puck.  The rest of the match was scoreless.

The game was ugly.  The reason the Harvard players are giving in
today's Harvard Crimson, is "Yale's kind of a cheap team".  That is
not true.  I believe the reason was Harvard's attitude.  I sensed from
the warm-up period that the Harvard players thought the game was going
to be an easy victory, and probably a good night to pad their stats.
What I got to witness was several players making solo rushes, often
broken up by Yale defenders, and other Harvard "skaters" camped out in
front of the Yale net waiting for some inexplicable pass to find their
stick, for an easy goal.  What rubbish!

I thought Yale defender Thalia Ghigalia played a good game for the Elis.
On several occasions she read the play, and broke up Crimson attacks.
For Harvard, Joey Alissi was the only player who seemed to want to play
the game.  I found it some justice that she should get the game winning
goal, considering she was the only team player last night. As a co-
captain she set a good example, pity about the rest of the lot.

Harvard has been playing a much better game recently, and this match
would have been an excellent arena to get some of the plays that have
been just missing, to start clicking.

/
 good shooting
 rhun