From:
Paul Marchant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Marchant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Aug 1992 08:48:01 EDT
Like I said in my previous note, my opinion is not based so much
on logic and reason, than emotion.

Difference between a few minor leaguers(sp?) who are considered pros
and NHL stars: I have no objections to a couple of minor leaguers such
as Mike Eurizone (only one I could think of this morning). Nothing
against Mike and the other minor leaguers we've seen on Team USA over
the years, but I don't think anyone would consider them on the same
level as the Kevin Stevens, Jeremy Roenick, and Pat Lafontaine's of
the NHL. I see their contribution to the team as being more a leadership
and maturity role for the collegians. They are there to help mold
the team into a cohesive group.

I also see a TeamUSA filled with collegians as a reward/ultimate goal for
the amateur side of American hockey. A showcase of the talent and the
program that helped develop that talent.

(Ha, just remembered Ray LeBlanc, just not with it today).

I know that we would not see the problem (as I see it) with hockey should
all pros be allowed and the NHL accomodate the schedule as we see with
basketball. As Mike pointed out, it would be more like the Canada Cup
series with less of a disparity between the teams than with today's
olympic basketball.

But, I personally am not interested in another Canada Cup. It's not that
I don't want the US to put together the best team they can, it's that
I want them to put together the best amateur team they can.(and I consider
minor leaguers not to violate that to a great degree).

Look at the players we've seen come out of the olympic program: Kevin,
Jeremy, Pat, Neil Broten, etc... Their careers have no doubtedly been
improved by the olympic experience.

And with this group(email group) being college hockey fans, I don't
think that I'm the only one that would prefer to see our favorite college
hockey players on the ice. Hey, were else can you find Carol, Justin,
and Keith cheering for those ECAC and HE stars and Wayne and Mike
cheering on the CCHA and WCHA.

Paul Marchant     |      The CCHA and the       | (513) 865 - 1637
Mead Data Central | Lake Superior State Lakers  | Data Technology
P.O. Box 933      |                             | [log in to unmask]
Dayton, OH  45401 |   The BEST in NCAA Hockey   | ...!uunet!meaddata!paulm