From:
"Billy G. Taylor" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Billy G. Taylor
Date:
Wed, 9 Jul 2003 21:25:09 -0400
Let's face it- the Ivies', and some other colleges, "no athletic
scholarships" charade is just that and very few, if any, D1 teams can
honestly claim to be truly interested in academics first.  D1 athletics,
including hockey, are a business.  The bottom line is won/loss
percentage and national championships.  A few players may come to get an
education along the way to pursuing their chosen careers as professional
athletes.  Most of the kids go to the programs that they think can
fullfill one of three dreams:

   1. Get them to the NHL.
   2. Win a championship, preferably a national championship.
   3. Play D1 hockey.

Most of us know kids who get accepted to Ivy League schools because of
athletic ability and get all the financial aid they "need" based on the
fact that the school "needs" a goalie or other position player.  I don't
see any difference in the Ivies accepting underachieving and undeserving
kids of the rich and famous, e.g. George W. Bush.  He got accepted
because his father was a famous and wealthy alumnus and went on to an
undistinguished academic career .  His Yale "education" got him what he
was most in need of- contacts and friendships with other rich kids who
could invest in his (mostly failed) business ventures and buy the
Presidency.

D1 Hockey is not better, and is not worse, because of the presence of
Ivy League teams.  They're really no different than the others.  Those
of us who support the system by buying tickets hope that the players get
a good education in addition to good coaching.  We hope that some of
those athletically talented kids get to go to college when they might
not be able to otherwise.  Whenever I talk to parents of RPI seniors I
always ask them if their sons got a good education.  When they stop
answering "yes", I'll stop supporting the team.

Bill Taylor
RPI, '74