From:
Tony Biscardi <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tony Biscardi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Aug 1994 00:42:40 -0400
As far as the potential move goes, I will try to present it from both sides,
and then I'll throw in my own 2 cents (well, more like flaming daggers).

What's good about the move:

$$$$  -  Ch 68 is offering $3,000 more per school for the rights to the Beanpot
final.

Growth of 68 - BU is obviously hoping ch 68 can grow.  There is a certain % of
the audience out there that would demand their local cable get ch 68 if it
had not only BU hockey (14 games), but also the Beanpot Final.

$$$$  -  By "considering" the offer, the AD's could be hoping ch 38 will
counter and offer a higher sum than what they are presently offering.  (It
would not have to equal the $3000/school to get the AD's to jump on it.)

What's bad about the move:

Prestige - ch 38 already has the Bruins fans, so showing the Beanpot every year
on the same station as the Bruins gets the "habit viewers" to watch college
hockey for a night.  It at least increases interest.

Exposure, exposure, exposure:  ch 38 is carried on cable across the US and
Canada... enough said.

What I think... unless it's just a ploy to get ch 38 to up the sum, I think to
really consider the move STINKS!

Please, what the four schools pick-up in exposure MORE than makes up for itself
over the long haul.

I have a gut feeling that this move stinks of Silber.  I think he's hoping
ch 68 grows to near-38 levels.  I *LOVE* putting BU hockey games (and any
other sport) on the station, but I have loved the Beanpot LOOOOOONNNGGG before
I came to BU. (Heck, I was an NU fan in the early '80's)
My loyalties are to college hockey first, BU second; and I think a move of the
Beanpot to ch 68, even for $10,000 more per school would be a bad move.  Only
a move to FOX, CBS, etc. could be justified in my mind.  ch 38 is the best we
have after a network, so be happy with what we have.

Heck, I would bet MANY schools out there, East AND West would pay to have one
of their games aired to that large a market.

Well, enough of my opinions.  I just don't think the move will really happen.

Tony  BU'92'93
Former Ogre