Sender:
From:
Peter Kester <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Apr 1992 12:23:16 -0400
> aj sheetz questions ...
> >Also, isn't it an automatic goal if a player throws his stick during a
> >break-away on an open net?

Wayne responds:
>    If a stick is thrown to prevent a goal, a penalty shot/optional minor
>    penalty is awarded.  Otherwise it's a minor penalty.  There are no
>    automatic goals in hockey, other than ones that are legally propelled
>    over the goal line.  :-)

I must disagree.  If a penalty shot is called and the net is empty, a
goal is automatically awarded.  This rule makes sense because if you
were allowed to put your goalie back in the net to face a penalty
shot, there would be every incentive to throw your stick or haul
someone down from behind to prevent an empty net goal.  There's always
a chance he'd miss the penalty shot while only people on my team can
miss empty nets ;-)

I believe the reason that an automatic goal wasn't awarded was that
the sticks were all thrown wide and did not interfere with the play.
As for the possible high stick play, the linesman was right there and
saw the entire play.  Even in slow motion, I couldn't tell whether the
puck was played by the high stick.

Congratulations Lakers!

Pete