From:
David Parter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Parter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Nov 1993 15:50:46 -0600
> > Team A (now on a powerplay) scores at 14:55.
> >
> > Remaining penalty times are:
> >
> > Team A:  0:05
> > Team B:  0:35
> >          1:35
> >
> > The question:  Which of B's penalties is wiped out?  If possible, I would
> > love a specific reference to the applicable rule in the NC$$ rulebook.
> >

> I believe the rule is that the  first penalty from team B is the one that
> gets wiped (the penalties get wiped in a first in, first out order). If they
> wiped out the 2nd team B penalty, then team B would only be short-handed
> for another 35 secs, rather than the 1:35 and thus they would get 'less' of
> a penalty ...

I have seen it called this way.

I *thought* it was the other way (that it was the *second* penalty on
team B which would end), since it (the second penalty) made them short-handed
(in this case) or in the case of a 5-on-3 power play it would have made them
more short-handed.

However, I think that last year Mike Machnik told me that it is
the first penalty (but I could be wrong again).

        --david