From:
"Luiz F. Valente" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Luiz F. Valente
Date:
Sun, 31 Oct 1993 15:57:04 EST
It seems that Mike Sheridan and I went to a different hockey game on
Friday night, even though we were both at Meehan Auditorium.

Brown consistently outskated New Brunswick, resulting in 53 shots
(against 27 by New Brunswick). Unfortunately, Brown could not cash in on
some excellent opportunities, including a brilliant play by freshman
Mike Noble, in which he hit the post, and at least one excellent
opportunity in overtime, when the UNB goalie was completely out of
position during a Brown flurry.

The UNB goalie was definitely NOT a stand-up goalie. In fact, the Brown
coaches repeatedly told the Brown players to shoot high, and the players
themselves kept telling each other to shoot high, because the UNB goalie
was going down early. (How do I know this was going on? I attended the
game from the bench, as a guest of Coach Bob Gaudet, and after a while
even I found myself telling the players to shoot high.)

There's no goalie at Brown named Brian Parsons. I think Mike Sheridan is
referring to MIKE Parsons. Brown didn't skate lots of freshmen, either.
In fact, only three freshmen played, all of them forwards: Mike Flynn,
Scott Bradford and Mike Noble. The three were quite impressive. Mike
Flynn is an excellent passer, with superb hockey sense. Scott Bradford
scored a very nice goal and checked hard. Mike Noble may be the fastest
player on the team.

Obviously the Brown players were disappointed, because they could and
should have won, but there was a good feeling among the team after the
game and the morale is high for the Harvard game next Friday.

Luiz F. Valente
Faculty Advisor
Brown Hockey team