Date:
Tue, 8 Dec 1992 10:12:22 EST
It's too difficult to develop a list of the most exciting players I've
seen.  I will say this -- If I were a GM and had to choose one player to
build my team around, I'd take former LSSU goaltender Darrin Madeley.

I would like to share my thoughts on some of the most exciting games I've
seen, however.  (Listed in reverse chronological order.)

  1. (1992-93) Merrimack 5 at Western Michigan 4 -- The Warriors storm
back from a 4-1 3rd period deficit to defeat the Broncos at home.  MC
showed more heart, determination and all out jubilation (when it was
over) than I'm accustomed to seeing here in CCHA land.

  2. (1991-92) Michigan 7 Northern Michigan 6 at Joe Louis Arena -- NCAA
quarterfinal game, Michigan fights back from 6-3 to score 4 unanswered
goals and gain a trip to Albany.

  3. (1991-92) at Michigan 1 Lake Superior 0 - The two top teams in the
CCHA in a fierce defensive battle decided by two All-Americans when Denny
Felsner beat Darrin Madeley in the 3rd period.

  4. (1991-92) at Michigan 5 Illinois-Chicago 4 -- Tied at 4-4 with 0:04
remaining in the 3rd and a face-off to the right of Jon Hillebrandt in
the UIC zone, Michigan pulls its goaltender for the extra attacker, wins
the face-off and Mark Ouimet tucks it past Hillebrandt to steal the game
as time expires.

Honorable mention for games I've watched on PASS or listed to on radio:

 HM. (1990-91) Michigan 3 Maine 1 at Joe Louis Arena -- Two top teams
square off for the Great Lakes Invitational championship and Michigan
wins without it's top defensive pair (David Harlock,Patrick Neaton) who
were competing in the World Junior Championships.  It was Michigan's 3rd
consecutive GLI title.

 HM. (1988-89) Bowling Green 3 at Michigan 2 (3OT) -- BG's Rob Blake
ends Michigan's season in triple overtime as the Falcons survive the
CCHA first round, 2 games to 1.  Warren Sharples stops over 50 shots
in the Wolverine net.

 HM. (1985-86) at Michigan 11 RPI 10 (OT) -- Michigan enters the game
10-18, but wins an overtime goalfest against defending national champs
RPI.

Ah!  College hockey sure has produced a ton of great memories.

John H
U Mich