From:
Carol Singer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Carol Singer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 May 1994 10:27:19 -0400
Question for the day: Where did Tom Barrasso and Peter Taglianetti play
their college hockey?  I'm pretty sure that I remember somebody posting
this during the last year (Or am completely off-base here?)

The reason I want to know is because of a bizarre story in today's
newspapers.  This has been a strange year, with a college coach being
arrested for public urination and drunk driving (later reduced), an
American player on a European team being tried for murder (acquitted, I
think), and a player in the Central Hockey League being subdued by the
police, possibly with pepper spray.  This is the strangest!

This was in several newspapers this morning.  The most complete story I
saw was in USA Today:

PENGUINS, COACH FACE CHARGES
        Pittsburgh Penguins defenseman Peter Taglianetti and strength
coach John Welday faced charges of aggravated assault over an incident
Friday at a Pittsburgh bar, according to police.
        Goaltender Tom Barrasso faced a charge of making terroristic threats.
        David Miness, a patron at Froggy's bar, told police Taglianetti
struck him after Miness complained Taglianetti bumped him repeatedly.  He
said Welday then head-butted him, breaking his nose.
        Miness said after the two left the bar, Barasso approached him.
Miness said he told Barrasso he was going to sue the bar and the Penguins
and quoted Barrasso as responding: "What's it going to be like with
broken knees?  I'm serious."
        Investigators said the players and coach would be asked to turn
themselves in later.

Several papers said that Barrasso would be charged with making
"terroristic threats".  It sort of makes "scandals" that went on in
college hockey this season seem pretty minor, doesn't it?

Carol