From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 May 1994 01:26:17 -0400
Brian Gentry writes:

>The AD at Merrimack is the part-time commissioner of Hockey East.

And the previous HE commissioner, Stu Haskell, was really a part-time
commissioner since he was also commissioner of the ECAC North Atlantic
Conference.

When Stu stepped down from HE prior to 93-94, Merrimack AD Bob DeGregorio
was named acting commissioner.  He served in that role this past season.
Three people were being considered by the league as permanent
commissioner.  There should be a decision sometime soon as to who will
be the permanent commissioner, and it is unknown whether that person
will be one of the aforementioned three (whose names I forget), or if
the job may indeed be offered to DeGregorio or even someone else.

But one way or another, I get the distinct impression that the HE
commissioner will also be part-time.  It isn't perceived as a job that
requires a full-time person.  I don't think this is unusual since an
HE commissioner would only be dealing with one sport, while the
commissioners of some of the collegiate sports conferences have many
sports to preside over.

Note that HE's first commissioner, Lou Lamoriello, served simultaneously
as Providence AD before resigning both posts in 1987 to become
president/GM of the New Jersey Devils.  So HE has never had a
full-time commissioner.
Mike Machnik                                          [log in to unmask]
Cabletron Systems, Inc.                                  *HMM* 11/13/93