From:
"Mark E. Gibbons" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark E. Gibbons
Date:
Fri, 22 Apr 1994 12:39:21 EDT
the correct answer is both can play at the U of M!

Mn. has never prevented ANYBODY from trying out for their Hockey team.

There have even been Canadiens on the team, fairly recently.

They just don't recruit out-of-staters, and how that is defined is up
to the coach.

To belabor the point:
The idea came about at a time when many people wanted hockey to grow in MN.
it worked better then could be expected.

It probably helps & hinders the team, but it supporters see it as proving the
excellence of Mn hockey (which is, of course, debatable).  Some people see
it as the antithesis of the high-power, big-buck recruiting ethics of those
inferior sports -- bball & fball -- (it may be, but because of the quality of
recruits,& limited numbers of options that argument is mostly moot).  Is it
still important to youth hockey in MN - no, but it sure makes loyal fans of
its followers!

If all the D-1 schools in MA. followed the same idea would there be a huge
increase in HS hockey with its attending improved pool to drwa from?  Hell
if I know, but given the pressures on coaches to win, it would be unfair to
expect any to stick his neck out to find out (Ma already does a good job of
developing VERY good players, would this make more?  some folks think the
broad base in Mn lowers the top 10%).  I wish all college sports could
only recruit from their state(I KNOW THAT IS NOT REASONABLE) only becasue I
don't like what recruiting does to the kids, coaches & boosters.

PROPOSED:
we make a FAQ which would include many things including: what the heck SKI-U-
MAH means, who the heck the ogre is/was/can be & long disertations on the pros
and cons of Mn. only recruiting.  Then everyone on the list has to promise
never to bring any of those subjects on the list ever again (under threat of
hockey-l death).  No more woof, no more whine, no more in-your-face (for
or against)Mn's recruiting practices.

me
notes from hockey hell(r)
those of you who think you are suffering withdrawal becasue the season ended
should move here.