From:
Richard Hungerford <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard Hungerford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Apr 1994 09:46:30 EST
I forgot to mention in my Team Canada post winger Jane Robinson.
Playing on a line with Goyette and Drolet, Robinson provided excellent
support.  She was there to make the telling pass or finish the lovely
play.

USA   6 - Suisse   0
USA  16 - Germany  0
USA   2 - Finland  1
USA  14 - China    3
USA   3 - Canada   6
Winner of Silver Medal

Team USA used a flat/control game.  Yet for all their efforts, they
often looked disorganized on the ice.  Having seen most of these
players play, and knowing them to be extremely skillful women, I was
very let down by the USA performance.

I think what made it extra hard on them was that it was rare that
more than one player on a line was going well.  They just didn't
seem to hit stride.  It was very hard for me to watch them as I knew
they could all play much better.  Along with Finland and Canada, the
USA has the talent to win it all.  With the system they use however,
I don't think that will happen soon.

I was not happy by the goon attitude of some players on Teams Germany,
China and USA.  The win at any cost stuff just makes your team look
cheap.  The no body checking rule in the women's game I support.  I
feel the hits lead to junk.  I go to watch hockey for its skill.
I have no desire to see a talented player injured.  One of the reasons
I go to more women's hockey these days is that it is more skillful.
I applaud the vast majority of women players who can play the game,
and play it fast and clean.  It is still a very physical game!

Goalies:
Erin Whitten (UNH 93) had a very good week in goal.  It is the best
I have seen her play.  She tends to go down a little early, but seemed
to always get something in the way of the puck.
Kelly Dyer (NU 90) played in a couple of games and was very strong.
She is a large goalie and is able to cover a lot of net.

Defenders:
Chris Bailey (PC 94) was easily the USA's best defender.  Her mobility
placed her in the right place all the time.  It was a pity that she
and the other defenders were told not to rush the puck.  One of
Bailey's strong skills is leading an attack, but we never got that.
I feel it is one of the reasons the USA did not look sharp.
Shelly DiFronzo (UNH 89) had an up and down week.  At her best she was
a tough defender to try to get by.  At other times she could get
caught up with the more negative sides of hockey.
Vicki Movsessian (PC 94) played a very steady series on defense.  With
her left ankle taped, she did not have the moves I associate with her.
Still, she got the job done and her side of the ice.

Attackers:
Karyn Bye (UNH 93) was the USA's best player for the week.  Her
presence on the ice made things happen.  Bye scored or set up numerous
goals for Team USA.  Big in size, she also plays big every game.
Cammi Granato (PC 93) was one of Bye's linemates and while she ended
up with an equal number of points, I just felt Cammi had an off week.
I am use to seeing this marvelous center dominate games.  For some
reason she just didn't get it going this week.  Even so, a player as
good as Granato can't be stopped, as she scored the game winner in the
match against Finland.
Cindy Curley (PC 85) played a brand of hustle hockey all week.  She
picked up a leg injury early on, but played through it.  Curley was
always there for her mates.  I thought she was an excellent captain
because she demonstrated the most team play.
Sandra Whyte (HU 92) was on Curley's line and at times made some
terrific plays.  I remember 4 or 5 precision passes across the front
of the goal to a teammate that were outstanding.
Beth Beagan (PC 92) had a great week.  If one player could have gotten
Team USA on a roll, it would have been Beagan.  Her fast skating and
clever moves were a joy to watch.
Gretchen Ulion (DU 94) started the week great.  In the early games
she scored many goals and was often my player of the match.
Shelley Looney (NU 94) played great at the end of the week.  She just
blitzed Team China.  When Looney skates watch out.  She also had a
very good start of the match against Team Canada.  Thinking back,
if she had hit home a few more of the half chances she had, things
could have been different for the USA.

As I think back about Team USA I am left with two feelings.  If some
players had been less selfish, I believe the team would have played
better because everything would have been easier.  As it was, the
games always seemed to be hard for the team.  I also firmly believe
that these skillfull players could have played a more interesting
game.  I have never yet seen a team win a game without scoring
goals.  Sure you need a good defense.  But if you have the puck in
the other teams end, its hard for them to score.  If you spend your
whole time trying to tie up the other team, sooner or later, they
will get a break.  I would add that I attended several Team USA
practices, and they always were running the same drills, over and
over.  It was so sad for me to see these wonderful players not allowed
to excel.

/
 good shooting
 rhun