Date:
Wed, 20 Apr 1994 10:39:46 EST
Bri Farenell <[log in to unmask]> writes:

>I was wondering what was the rationale for some coaches to switch
>jobs. What sorts of criteria do they use? I'm sure that one of the
>factors has to be the commitment to hockey of the school the coach
>is currently at and/or the school he is considering going to. Another
>factor is obviously the success or tradition of the program in the past.
>Obviously, coaching at BU or Minnesota looks a little better on your
>resume' than coaching at Princeton or Ohio St (no disrespect intended,
>Tiger or Buckeye fans).

>I guess my question is: why would Miami coach Gwozdecky consider a
>position at Denver. Gwoz. has built a solid program at Miami and seems
>to have really put his mark on Redskin hockey. Whereas, Denver wouldn't
>seem to be as "prime" a job. Perhaps they are on the same level (of
>"ripeness") but, if that's the case, why would Gwoz. consider leaving?
>(If he indeed is)

Well, to eat the words of a prior post of mine (as well *gulp* as several
private responses), it appears George G. may still take the Denver job.
The reason?  A _rumoured_ $100,000/yr contract, vs the _estimated_ $55-60
thousand/yr here at Miami even *after* a large {sorry, I couldn't get
any quantification of what 'large' means} increase.

So, why switch (beyond resume fodder?)  $$$$$$$!!!!!!!!!!

I talked with Coach G this past saturday at a blueline function.  He
sounded (to me) adamant that he wasn't interested in DU's job, and that
the only school that could coax him away from Miami was his alma mater,
Wisconsin (think of that, Bucky fans: Jason Zent under control!).  I
guess that was before DU [reportedly!] offered to *double* his salary.
Tough call, man.  Plus it's a foot in the door to the WCHA.  Real tough
call, man.

Either way he goes, he'll be successful.  I wish him the best (which,
coincidently, is what he brought to Miami).

Steve G