Date:
Mon, 11 Apr 1994 21:48:03 EDT
In article <[log in to unmask]>, Charlie Slavin
<[log in to unmask]> says:

>That's about it for my immediate recollections - perhaps some of the other
>attendees will chip in with their comments on what was (is this really
>true?) the last college hockey game of the season...

Well, since Charlie asked for it, here goes :). Actually, I was going
to say something anyway, since this was the first time I got to meet
several hockey-l people, including Mike Machnik, Heather Machnik,
Charlie and WTS. I had met JohnH earlier at UMich. Interestingly, John
was the only one I knew from before in this lot.

It was great meeting all these, may I say legendary, folks in person.
Mike is a walking encyclopedia of college hockey.

To add to Charlie's comments on JohnH (no offense John :)): John was so
vociferous and loud in his yells to David Oliver that Oliver actually
looked up and nodde to John in-between periods.

Mike M. told me an interesting story about Zent after he picked up the
first penalty of the game - Zent picked up the last penalty of one game
at the end of the season at the Knick and picked up the first penalty
of the next game that he played at the Knick a year later. Back-to-back
penalties over two years, was Mike's comment.

When Plattsburgh's Pereira was introduced early in the game, Heather let
out this blast of a whistle. Caught me by surprise! I had not really
realized that she was this big a fan of college hockey. I should have
known better, I guess :).

Finally, the empty-netter that the West team scored, apparently had a
little more to it than I realised. The Maine Campus ran a little tid-bit
on it today. Turns out that Oliver who scored that goal was set up by
Beddoes from Lake Superior. Well, the story goes that even though he
could have scored that goal himself, he decided to leave it to Oliver,
who he knew was trailing behind.

Beddoes comments (reproduced without permission from The Maine Campus):
"I knew it was David, but hey, we're teammates today, and I've come to
find out he's a pretty good guy. Besides, I've got the (championship)
ring. It's the least I could do."  Nice touch.

Well, it's been another great year of college hockey. Hopefully, we'll
be back next year without any problems (unlike this one) and claim back
what is rightfully ours :).

Venky