Sender:
From:
"S Christopher - Dean, Behav Sci, Hum Serv & Educ" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Apr 1994 17:12:09 EST
I see Rick Comley's possible candidacy for the Denver U. coaching job is
still being talked about.  I guess we can score one for Hockey-L--and
the Denver newspaper, which I believe was where this started.  I saw
nothing about such a possibilty in last night's Mining Journal, and
you'd certainly think it would be big news in old Marquette.  (But I
did miss the Monday and Tuesday evening editions of the MJ due to a
trip, so maybe something about Rick was printed there/then.)

Actually, since I know Rick is a list member although, like most coaches
and players, he doesn't write things (probably because he believes it's
not appropriate given his position, and I respect that a lot) I feel
like we NMU fans on the list should chime in with our "Please, Rick,
don't go!" pleas.  I know I feel that way; he's done an amazing job
here, and after all, he's the only coach we've ever had!  He even
designed the Wildcat uniforms.  He would really, really be missed by
everyone who cares about the 'Cats' hockey program, I'm certain.

(Incidentally, knowing how bad rumors about athletics can be, I want to
state that I don't believe Rick's salary is really $90,000, at least his
base salary.  However, coaches can and do earn extra funds by teaching
in workshops and camps while on their annual leave (vacation) time if
they're on twelve-month contracts like Rick's.  (If they're on 9-month
contracts, as most of them are, of course they can earn whatever they
can get during the summer periods anyway.)  Anyway, just thought I'd try
to put to rest the idea that our AD/hockey coach has a base salary quite
that "high," before someone here really takes umbrage.)  Rick is also
a "media star," doing commercials on the local TV for a car dealer--but
somehow I suspect the market here doesn't make that a way to get rich
real quick.  ;-)

 *  Steve Christopher, NMU  ADSC@NMUMUS       GO 'CATS!!!             *