Sender:
From:
Dave Hendrickson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Apr 1994 13:49:45 -0400
Ryan Stone writes:
> I played my High School Hockey in MAINE.
> I am sure the Maine people on the list may know more about its current state
> than I do.  It was very much still in the growing phase when I was playing (My
> freshman year was the first year my school had a team).  The state Tournament
> was a pretty big deal, but a far cry from either MASS, RI or MN.  The only
> player, I can recall, from my area (Area surrounding the University at ORONO),
> who played Division I hockey (without going away to private school) was Joe
> McCarthy (VERMONT '93) who played for Bangor High.  I know the University of
> Maine has had a few players from NYA (Yarmouth, ME), Notably, Olympian and Pro
> Eric Weinrich.

Current Maine player Barry Clukey, who I believe redshirted in 92-93 and then
played last year, is a good example.  Clukey apparently was setting all kinds
of records playing for some Southern Maine high school -- I'm thinking perhaps
Westbrook or Biddeford but that could be wrong -- but because the level of play
was not considered a good preparation for Div. 1 college, came down to Mass and
played for prep school Governor Dummer for either a year or two before becoming
unhappy (?homesick?) and returning to finish up with his home town school.

Because he shattered every scoring record and was a hometown product, there was
a lot of pressure being put on UMaine to extend him an offer, something they
didn't seem to be in any hurry to do.  As I recall, his speed was not
considered exceptional and there were questions about how effective he'd be in
Division 1.

In the end, UMaine did go after him.  I have no idea if this was in response
to external pressure or if Maine was simply waiting for some higher rated
recruit to make a decision and that decision turned out to be to go elsewhere.
Or perhaps there was something else.  In any case, he was playing for Maine
this year against Lowell, but I didn't see him play the previous year and Maine
fans at the Hockey East playoffs that year that I talked to hadn't heard of him
so I can only assume a redshirt season.  He didn't seem overwhelming in what
little I saw, but I'm sure all the Mainiacs out there can offer a better
perspective on his play and prospects for the next couple years.

None of this is intended to be a flame towards Maine HS hockey; it's just
what I've read.

*****************************************************        ,-******-,
* Dave Hendrickson "Robo" [log in to unmask] *     *'     ##     '*
*        A Hockey Polygamist and Get-A-Lifer        *   *##   ___##___   ##*
* GO BROONS!!!      Go Red Wings!!     Go LA Kings! *  *   ##|   ___  \##   *
* GO UMASS-LOWELL!!!    Go Maine!!           Go BU! * *      |  |___)  |     *
* Although I can't remember ever having an original * *      |  |___)  |     *
* thought, and am certainly parroting someone who   *  *   ##|________/##   *
* actually has a brain, these opinions are mine,    *   *##      ##      ##*
* not Hewlett-Packard's.                            *     *,     ##     ,*