Sender:
From:
Dave Hendrickson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Apr 1994 15:09:02 -0400
David M. Josselyn writes:
> 4. However, there are supporters of Merrimack hockey who would not be
> saddened at Anderson's departure. Anderson is extremely hardworking,
> dedicated, and straightforward. However, it has been said that some of
> his behavior alienates players' parents, and potentially prospective
> players. Some of the parents would simply like to see him spend a bit
> more time talking to them at after-game get-togethers. The players do.

If Anderson's worst fault (aside from a losing record) is that he doesn't
talk to some of the parents enough, then he should be considered for sainthood
rather than unemployment.  (I'm not saying that David agrees with the parents,
so this is in no way a commentary on him.)  Nine out of ten hockey parents are
good people and fun to be around.  But the whining few can be enough to drive
a coach nuts.  These Parents-From-Hell will not be happy unless the coach's
lips are surgically attached to the parent's butt.

Perhaps I'm a little more sensitive to this at this time of the season because
on one of my son's teams we have a couple whiners who, despite not having a
clue about hockey, want to be on the bench during games, on the ice during
practices, and want to offer technical advice on how the kids should be
playing.  This from parents whose sole contribution is "keep two hands on the
stick".  And it's directed at a head coach who has been very successful over
the long haul and has travelled far and wide to learn everything possible
tidbit from knowlegeable coaches and has credentials up the wazoo.  (BTW, *I'm*
not that guy.  Hubert Humphrey was criticized as "having the soul of a
vice-president".  I, similarly, "have the soul of an assistant coach".   :-)  )

One final college hockey example: during UMass-Lowell's 4-2 regular season win
over BU, almost certainly the high point of the regular season for the Chiefs,
the parents of a fourth line player for UML were complaining about the lack of
ice time for their son!

So in my book, opponents of Anderson had better get better ammo in their
arsenal.

One Coach's Motto: Parents!  Can't live with 'em.  Can't shoot 'em.

*****************************************************        ,-******-,
* Dave Hendrickson "Robo" [log in to unmask] *     *'     ##     '*
*        A Hockey Polygamist and Get-A-Lifer        *   *##   ___##___   ##*
* GO BROONS!!!      Go Red Wings!!     Go LA Kings! *  *   ##|   ___  \##   *
* GO UMASS-LOWELL!!!    Go Maine!!           Go BU! * *      |  |___)  |     *
* Although I can't remember ever having an original * *      |  |___)  |     *
* thought, and am certainly parroting someone who   *  *   ##|________/##   *
* actually has a brain, these opinions are mine,    *   *##      ##      ##*
* not Hewlett-Packard's.                            *     *,     ##     ,*