Sender:
From:
JOHN HACK <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Apr 1994 09:26:00 CST
>Later, they interviwed Phil Buttafuoco, ass't director of
championships
>for the NCAA. He said that in January, the NCAA passed
legislation
concerning
>minimum nuymber of teams to hold a championship. He said that
Division II
>would need to have 40 teams come 1995, in order to continue
holding
>a championship. There are only about 13 or 14 Division II teams.

>Bri Farenell                                     Clarkson '95

>Any Hockey-L'ers out there who are involved in D-2 schools want
>to address
>this?  Maybe this will be a push to get some of the D-2 schools
>to "jump"
>up?  A new conference or two?

 >  - Steve

    As the SID for UW-Superior, a charter member of the NCHA,
I've been involved in a lot of discussions (albeit informally)
thruout the conference this year regarding this issue.  People
(supposedly in the know) from Bemidji State tell me that after
next season (94-95), either BSU will drop back down to D.III, or
hockey will be dropped.  I don't believe that Bemidji has the
wherewithall to fund the necessary additions to their program
(No. 1 a new arena) to go D.I.  It's an absolute shame that with
the tradition that exists at BSU, the sport would be dropped.
There is still legislation pending with the NC$$ which might
change this course of action, but, other sources tell me that
this is likely not to pass the national body.  The other D.II
school in this area which is facing the same problem is Mankato
State.  Again the same issues face them, but they had made an
attempt to go D.II already, but the political opposition killed
the attempt.  The arena problem will not exist with Mankato since
their new 5000-seat barn is under construction and will open next
winter.  I would also find it hard to believe that this program
would also be dropped, but who knows.  Stay tuned...I am sure
that there is more to be heard from both Coach Bob Peters at
Bemidji and Coach Don Brose at Makato regarding this issue.

John Hack, SID, UW-Superior

Yellowjacket Hockey...93-94 NCHA regular season and playoff
champs & No. 2 in the nation in D.III hockey.