Sender:
Date:
Fri, 1 Apr 1994 10:20:37 EST
Comments:
Warning -- original Sender: tag was [log in to unmask]
The NC$$ announced today that they were going to postpone the basketball
Final Four and give the hockey playoffs the national spotlight theyadmit
they have been denying the sport.  In a statement this morning the NCAA
said, "We have always known hockey was THE sport, but we were afraidthat
it would completely overshadow all of our other sports, including football
and basketball, so we have tried to hide its existance as much as possible.
However, we know realize we have unjustly robbed these young people of

exposure for far too long for our own profit, and will give them their
due."
BU coach Jack Parker said he was "thrilled" about the idea of having the
championship game on CBS during the coveted Monday "Prime Time" slot.
The change in position by the NCAA is attributed to the visit to the
White House by the University of Maine hockey team last April.  They were
the first team to visit the White House, and President Bill Clintonsaid
that their visit "opened his eyes to the wonderful sport of hockey."
It seems that since that visit, Clinton has been doing heavy, behind the
scenes lobbying of the NCAA to give college hockey more exposure.

The NCAA said that basketball fans should not worry, their Final Four
will be played next Friday and Saturday nights, but would only be broadcast
on Portuguese-speaking stations.

More on this story as it develops.

Disclaimer: This is, of course, April Fool's Day...  Unfortunately, the
NCAA has not changed its position, and will continue to bury college
hockey at the bottom of its list of importance.

John Forsyth
Hope you're all in a good mood and can take a joke...