From:
Greg Gdowski <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Greg Gdowski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Dec 1993 08:55:06 -0500
Hi there,

>Jim Carey's decision to not attend the Junior World Champ....

The Boston Globe reported that 4 BU players (cant remember which) were
leaving for the US Juniors. Why  did Jim Carey decide to not go?

>Shawn Walsh
>-----------
>Finally, I was surprised to hear of the suspension of Shawn Walsh.
>Maybe the suspension is the best thing for the University of Maine.
>It sends the message that the University will make every effort to
>keep things above board.  However, some of the messages
>here on hockey-L strike me as very poorly thought out.
>Walsh has a very good record as a innovative hockey
>coach.  His teams have always played hard and fair.  Do critics
>of Walsh really think that he regularly tries to cheat his way around NCAA
>rules?

Im also surprised at the suspension. It does show that Maine is trully
concerned about the image they have created. Although the suspension was
trully a class act by U Maine, was Walsh just a scapegoat in the main
(Maine) plot. A ruling by the NCAA would be much better.... I await that
ruling. I think Walsh is a great coach with a great record. However,
if you steal from the store and get caught (even once), you go to jail.
This should apply to everyone, not just U Maine. They were of course,
the National Champs (congrats to them!!!!) with an almost undefeated
season (GO BU).... But lets make sure they play on level ice. I am a believer
in the judicial process (innocent until proven guilty). Its easy to point
fingers.

> The Tory case....

This is one of the drawbacks of being an athlete. I would never want
my academic marks placed on a newspaper. Its great that the Univ. of Maine
has given him the chance to improve his level of academic achievement.
Its really unfortunate that everyone has to watch while he does it.

On another note,
> RPI joining Hockey East....

Well I remember a  few great games between RPI and BU in the past. I wouldnt
mind them joing. What are the advantages? There are plenty of great teams
in the ECACs. They would just end up playing more games (right?).

>BU vs Brown....

Anyone out there know what the outcome was? I looked for it on the news
last night. All they had was stuff on Walsh...

                                                Happy Holidays,
                                                Greg Gdowski

Boston Univ. 85,89, 94?
Dept. of Biomed Eng.