Date:
Mon, 1 Jul 91 19:01:21 EDT
 Taken from the Star Tribune Sunday June 30, 1991.

 Dave Peterson, coach of the 1992 U.S. Olympic hockey team, informed 29 players
 from the national trials tournament Saturday that they had been selected to
 return to St. Cloud State's National Hockey Center in August to take part in
 final selection procedures.

 "It's much more of a guessing game this year than when we picked the 1988
 team, " said Peterson. "We made some decisions with the '88 team before we had
 to. Now we've decided to let them condition all of July and come back as a
 full group, and we won't make any decisions until we have to."

 Part of the guessing game is the availability of candidates under pro
 contracts. Among the others Peterson plans to evaluate are former Gophers
 goalie Robb Stauber, who is recovering from knee surgery, former Gophers
 defenseman Tom Pederson, former BU star Shawn McEachern, former Harvard
 forwards Ted Donato and C. J. Young, and former Olympian Jimmy Johansson from
 Rochester, Minnesota. Peterson told the group on Saturday that he might recall
 some more of them to participate in August, depending on the responses he gets
 from that uncommitted group.

 Minnesota-Duluth goaltender Chad Erickson, who suffered a knee injury at the tr
 ials, centers Derek Plante of UMD and Mark Beaufait of Northern Michigan, and d
 efensemen Pat Neaton of Michigan and Ken Klee of Bowling Green are believed to
 be high on the list of alternates.

 Derian Hatcher who was picked to return August 1st, also may be assigned to the
  U.S.Junior team's camp which opens August 18th.  Mike Dunham, Scott Lachance,
 and Craig Johnson also may qualify for the junior team, although Peterson said
 they have legitimate chances to make the Olympic team.