Sender:
From:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Feb 1994 09:48:00 PST
Warning: If you're not interested in college hockey cards, delete now.

Charlie Slavin writes...
>Well, I guess I  need to jump in here and make a couple of comments - the
>thousands of hockey cards in my office at home are begging me to....

Ditto!

>I believe UMD also later printed a "Brett Hull" set trying to capitalize on
>his fame.  The original team set is fairly hard to come by, and, as far as
>know, the only college set with any real value.

This sounds right.  I've never seen a "later version" from UMD, but I did
hear that something was in the works.  Capitalizing on Brett Hull's fame is
the most accurate way to describe it.

Ralph ([log in to unmask]) writes...
>So far, here's the list of colleges that have hockey cards produced.
>
>RPI (1993-94)
>Clarkson (1992-93)
>Michigan Tech (couple of years ago)
>Harvard (1992-93)
>Maine (1991-92, 1992-93)
>Minnesota  (1991-92, 1992-93, 1993-94)
>U of Michigan (1991-92, 1993-94)
>Cornell (1993-94)
>Lake Superior State (last 2 or 3 years)
>Minnesota-Duluth (early 80's w/Brett Hull)
>Michigan State  (1992-93)

I'll add a few comments.  The 1991-92 Michigan set (25 cards) came out
during the 1992-93 season.  It confused everyone because it had the previous
years seniors in it but none of the current freshmen.  The cards featured a
very bland, "posed" color shot of each player in their home uniform on the
front and a black and white action shot (when available) on the back.  Stats
and other info could be found on the back as well.  The print run on this
set was 1500, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were actually more in
circulation.  They seemed to be everywhere.  Near the end of the season, a
few uncut sheets began to show up.  I have no idea how many of these exist.

The 1993-94 Michigan set (approx. 25-30 cards) appears to be nicer.  The
horrible stills have been replaced by many color action shots on the front,
including multiple cards showing each of the jerseys (home white, road blue,
special occasion yellow).  B&W facial shots and stats are on the back.  The
print run on these set was also 1500, with the following allotment: 1250 cut
sets, 250 uncut sheets.  The uncut sheets are very attractive.

Btw, neither set includes a Red Berenson card.

The best set I've seen is the 1992-93 LSSU Laker set (30+ cards).  It
features all of the 1992-93 players, head coach Jeff Jackson, 1991-92
All-Americans Darrin Madeley and Mark Astley, a 1992 CCHA Championship card
and a 1992 NC$$ Championship card.  Overall, the photos are very cool.  The
only beef I have with the set, and someone mentioned this previously, is the
paper stock.  Very flimsy.  But, from what I've seen, that's what you're
going to get with any college set.

Finally, I'll mention the 1991-92 Minnesota set.  The photos are all facial
shots, which is somewhat bland, but one thing struck me as unique with this
set.  The player's high school is also listed on the front of the card!  I
think that this was a very sharp idea.  State abbreviations weren't
necessary, since all of the players are from Minnesota.  Seeing so-and-so
from Wayzata H.S. is pretty cool.

>Any others you might know about, let me know and I'll add to the list.
>Also, I'm still looking for traders for these sets, or people willing
>to pick me up one (with compensation, of course). Or, if anyone could
>send me a phone number of the college where these cards exist, that
>would be a big help as well (it'll save me from dialing 411 20 times).

Anyone is welcome to e-mail me if they are interested in a 1993-94 Michigan
set.  (I'm not sure if 1991-92 sets are still available.)  Cost per set is
$10 plus postage.  For this purpose, I recommend against uncut sheets.  A) I
can't guarantee that they'll make it from the rink to my home undamaged and
B) they do not roll well so the only way to ship them is between two large,
heavily taped pieces of cardboard, which is expensive.  Cut sets are
cellophane wrapped.  No guarantees there either, the production of these
cards isn't the most precise or careful operation, but at least the set
should make it to you in the same condition it left the rink.

Or, write the UM Athletic Department, 1000 S State St, Ann Arbor MI, 48109.
 They'll take care of you.

  John H ([log in to unmask])
  U Mich