Sender:
From:
Charlie Slavin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Feb 1994 07:42:33 -0500
Well, I guess I  need to jump in here and make a couple of comments - the
thousands of hockey cards in my office at home are begging me to....

Ralph writes....

>So far, here's the list of colleges that have hockey cards produced.
>
>RPI (1993-94)
>Clarkson (1992-93)
>Michigan Tech (couple of years ago)
>Harvard (1992-93)
>Maine (1991-92, 1992-93)

This last isn't quite accurate - though I wouldn't say it was wrong either.
Both sets came out last year.  Series I came out in the fall semester and
had mostly players from the 92-93 team but *did* have cards of Jean-Yves Roy
and Scott Pellerin who were not with the team in 92-93.  It did *not* have
cards of Kariya or the two Ferraros.  Series II came out in the spring
semester and did include cards of Paul, Peter, and Chris.

Each set had I believe 19 cards (can't quite remember).  They were
originally distributed at the rink (Alfond Arena) and at Irving Oil
Stations, but they were pulled from the gas stations due to some NCAA
problem I believe.  They seemed to make scads of them as they still have
plenty  - I called the rink store yesterday.

The price is $6.95/set (unless they've raised it - I didn't ask).  The
number for the rink shop is 207-581-1112.  I'll volunteer (ugh, did I really
say that?) to pick up sets of these for folks who want them - I guess the
trade off would be that I would have to pay tax (6%) though my shipping
costs would probably be less than they would charge you - but who knows?

>Minnesota  (1991-92, 1992-93, 1993-94)
>U of Michigan (1991-92, 1993-94)
>Cornell (1993-94)
>Lake Superior State (last 2 or 3 years)
>Minnesota-Duluth (early 80's w/Brett Hull)

I believe UMD also later printed a "Brett Hull" set trying to capitalize on
his fame.  The original team set is fairly hard to come by, and, as far as I
know, the only college set with any real value.  [This last comment brought
to you by my conscience which was worried about anyone thinking picking up
these "limited" college-printed cards was the way to make a killing.]

BTW [Don't listen to this Wayne - it's not really about college *hockey*] if
anyone has access to *uncut* sheets of any of these sets, I would be
interested (thanks again John!)

Best wishes, Charlie

Charlie Slavin                           [log in to unmask]
Department of Mathematics
University of Maine                   "It's a great day for hockey."
Orono, Maine 04473                            Bob Johnson (1931-1991)