From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Mar 91 11:20:42 EST
Mark Daly writes:
>                                         If Clarkson or
>Cornell wins the ECAC tournament, the committee just might give
>the second seed to one of them, if for no other reason than to
>follow the pattern of one bye to each conference.

    Of course, this is possible, but it should be noted that the
    committee is not required to split the two byes in each region
    between the two conferences of that region.  Since the current
    seeding format was instituted in 1988, no one conference has
    ever received both byes, but I believe this to be because each
    year there has been no good reason to do so.  This year the
    numbers seem to greatly favor BC and Maine, and so that's why
    I selected them.  In the West, I picked LSSU and Michigan, but
    I did note that the line between Michigan and NMU was very fine
    and that I expected NMU to get the 2nd seed in the West.

    There's also the political aspect of things where conferences
    will argue that they "deserve" a bye, something I completely
    disagree with.  My selections were based on what I thought should
    happen, which is slightly different from what I think will happen.

    The BC people seem to think they have lost all hope of getting a bye
    (i.e. they think they will drop down to third).  I'm continually
    surprised at how little people know about the process and criteria.
    They are most certainly still in the running at the very least.

    - mike