From:
Jeff Billman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Billman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Jan 1994 21:29:00 EST
>>If logistics are not handled carefully, a team like Denver will
>>wind up flying out to Boston on Friday, play a game, then fly to Alaska on
>>Saturday on something like 2 hours' sleep, if they're lucky.  Just imagine
>>how ready they'll be to play then!:-)
>
>Aren't we overdramatizing a bit?  Nobody plays in Boston and Alaska on the
>same weekend, not even Santa Claus.

You're right, I am overdramatizing (obviously), for the sake of effect.  My
point is the WCHA covers such a broad area, unlike the three-division ECAC
of old, that it would be pointless to make a three-division conference.
Why not form a totally new conference instead?

>Schedule makers are not rocket scientists, but I give them enough credit to
>"handle the logistics carefully."

Yes, and no.  If each WCHA team were to play every other in the course of a
season, which in retrospect I doubt but will address the issue just in
case, there is a good chance one team will need to play under less than
favorable travel conditions.  At the moment, I can't think of a
_reasonable_ scenario where this would be the case (playoffs, maybe?) but I
feel it would be easier just the same to create a new conference,
eliminating the need to be as careful w/ logistics.

|Jeff Billman               |"I was hooked on phonics"    |
[log in to unmask]      |    -6 year old former addict|
|Bowling Green State Univ.  |-----------------------------|
|Bowling Green, OH          |   Just say no to phonics    |
|Other info by request.     |     Call 1-800-ZYXWVUT      |