From:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Jan 1994 08:58:00 PST
30 January 1993, Joe Louis Arena, Detroit MI
Michigan Tech 8 Notre Dame 6

  :40 N Ling 8 (Osiecki)
10:04 N Bruininks 4 (Coe,Matushak)
14:49 M Stevens 9 (Kisil,Perrault) ppg
27:33 M Stevens 10 (JMikesch,Wright)
29:02 M Lane 4or9 (LeBel,PMikesch)
30:19 M Peterson 2 (Peca,Figliomeni)
33:46 M PMikesch 6 (Lane,Peca)
39:16 M LeBel 5 (PMikesch,Jensen) shg
40:31 N Bales 1 (Bellmore,Thornton)
44:00 N Matushak 4 (Rushin,Nelsen)
50:51 M Peterson 3 (Ferguson)
52:00 N Lamppa ? (Matushak)
57:26 N Harberts ? (Nelsen)
58:13 M Peterson 4 (Figliomeni)

Goaltenders: MTU Ram UND Salzman(30:19) Louder

A partisan MTU crowd was fairly quiet as the Irish looked to be the
better team in the first period, jumping to a 2-0 lead and taking
a 2-1 lead to the lockerroom.  But, JLA came alive in the second
with five more Huskie goals propelling MTU to a 6-2 lead.  Notre
Dame went for broke in the third, pulling within 6-4 and 7-6, but
my hoarse screams of GO IRISH! weren't enough to carry them to
victory.

(Their defensive collapses didn't help matters, either. :-)

30 January 1993, Joe Louis Arena, Detroit MI
Michigan 4 Michigan State 2
MacInnes Cup GLI Championship Game

17:00 M Oliver 15 (Wiseman,Morrison) ppg
19:40 M Oliver 16 (Wiseman)
38:50 M Wiseman 8 (Morrison,Oliver) ppg
41:28 M Madden 4 (Knuble,Stone)
49:13 S Murray 5 (Guolla)
56:05 S Harper 6 (Perreault,Ferranti) ppg

Goaltenders: UM Shields MSU Buzak

Michigan dominated the shot clock for the first 45 minutes and
never looked back.  Mike Buzak (who should have been the All-GLI
goaltender, no questions asked) played well, including snuffing two
David Oliver breakaways in Ollie's bid for a hat trick.  The second
Michigan goal was a complete fluke as Oliver's shot deflected into
the air, fluttered over Buzak and dipped back down into the net.
A classic eephus(sp?) pitch for you baseball fans.

And, in the continuing saga of the spelling and pronunciation of
Anton Fedorov's name, the Joe Louis PA man scores a big zero with
FEED-or-off.  It's not like he's never said Fedorov before. :-)

(Follow-up...THE DETROIT NEWS is also going with a somewhat
phonetic version of FIODOROV -- the original spelling -- which
leaves me to question whether I *really* know how to pronounce it.)

The All-GLI team, as randomly selected by a group of white mice in
a laboratory experiment:

  F  David Oliver, Michigan (BINGO! Probably played even better
     than his five points indicate.  Now, if he could only finish
     a breakaway. :-)
  F  Kyle Peterson, Michigan Tech (Another solid selection, with a
     hat trick against Notre Dame.)
  F  Brian Wiseman, Michigan (Mike makes a case for Wiseman as MVP,
     and he did score six points even though he was ill -- he
     didn't even come out for the 2nd period against UND -- but,
     IMHO, Oliver played better.  I'll add that UM's Mike Knuble
     and UND's Jay Matushak also played well.  Knuble's downfall
     was that he was much bigger in the opening game than the
     championship and Matushak's was that he was on the fourth
     place team.)
  D  Nicolas Perreault, Michigan State (Huh? I'll grant that he was
     instrumental against MTU, but where was he versus UM?  The
     only thing I remember him doing was taking a couple of dumb
     penalties, including at least one that led to a Michigan
     goal.)
  D  Harold Schock, Michigan (If Jason Botterill is a boy in a
     man's body then Harold Schock is a man in a boy's body.
     Please don't tell him that 5'10", 175 pound defensemen aren't
     supposed to do the things he does.  Jeez, I LOVE him!  As for
     the selection, it was a coin toss between Schock and
     Michigan's Steven Halko.  I would have given it to both and
     tossed Perreault.)
  G  Jamie Ram, Michigan Tech (This brought a tremendous roar of
     laughter from our section.  Can you say OVERRATED?  These must
     have been the same lab mice that selected the All-America team
     last season.  For the record, Ram goes 1-1 with nine goals
     against.  Early in the third, my friend and I began predicting
     the All-GLI team.  We figured Shields would get the nod if he
     held the shutout in the title game, even though Gordon played
     in the first round.  Once MSU scored, the odds on choice was
     Buzak, who beat MTU in OT, 3-2, and held Michigan to four
     goals -- their second lowest output of the season -- while
     being pretty well peppered.  Is there no justice?  I've
     penciled Ram in for First Team West All-America again this
     season.  He's as much of a lock as Charlie Ward was for the
     Heisman. :-)

 MVP David Oliver, Michigan

  John H
  U Mich (18-1-1)