From:
"LARRY <[log in to unmask]> @6139 ~ MORE DATA=QUICKER SOLUTIONS" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
LARRY <[log in to unmask]> @6139 ~ MORE DATA=QUICKER SOLUTIONS" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Dec 1993 14:10:00 -0600
Steve Manning writes:
> NMU claimed a 2-0 lead after the first period, scoring a short-hander
> and a power-play goal.  There was some controversy regarding the
> power-play goal, as Badger goalie Jim Carey got laid out to the side
> of the net underneath a Huskie attacker.  Just as he was scrambling
> back in the net, Hehr's shot from the blue line went in.  Carey
> and the Badgers complained vehemently, but the officials were having
> none of it.  I'm assuming they ruled that the Huskie was checked
> into Carey, so no interference occurred.  I'd like to hear what the
> radio broadcasters had to say about that one.  Steve?

The problem I had with the non-call was not how Carey got to the ice, but
how, through my cardinal-and-white* colored glasses, the Huskie attacker
stayed on top of Carey.  It appeared to me that the Huskie player made no
attempt to get off of Carey and allow him back to the net.  It took Carey
almost 10 seconds to squirm out from under and scramble back to the net.
But, by that time it was too late.

One other observation, about the game, that I'd like to make is on the anemic
Badger power play.  I kept on trying to figure out why the Badgers seem to
do worse when they are on the power play then when they are at even strength.
Maybe I'm oversimplifying the problem, but it really seemed to me that when
the Badgers went on the power play, Northern Michigan would realize that they
needed to step up their level of play and they did.  The Badgers on the other
hand would seem, by comparison, to slow down.  If there was a loose puck, an
NMU player would usually get there first and an NMU player would always be
stepping up and intercepting Badger passes.  I made the comment to a friend
that I felt relieved when the Badgers would go OFF the power play, because
then they seemed to play better!  (I don't want to take anything away from
the NMU power play unit, however; it was impressive.)

I'd like to finish by thanking everyone who makes this a very enjoyable and
informative list.

thanks
        larry

* = Badger's colors are cardinal and white
Larry Barbian                              Internet: [log in to unmask]
Quad/Graphics                           <This is my first Hockey-L post so I
Pewaukee, WI                            don't have an interesting tag line yet>