From:
Tony Biscardi <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tony Biscardi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Nov 1993 11:52:07 -0500
Yesterday, it was reported in the Boston Globe that 4 local (Boston area)
players had given verbal commitments to play for BU next year.

Tom Noble, Catholic Memorial - All-Scholastic goalie as a Junior led his team
   to the State Championship last year.  He follows in the line of the previous
   two big goalies out of CM, Chuckie Hughs (Harvard'92) and Jim Carey
   (Wisconsin'96).  All of us who saw him last year agree, he is a legitimate
   div I goaltender RIGHT NOW.

Jeff Kealty, Catholic Memorial - Second-Team All-Scholastic defenseman as a
   junior last year, this tall, thin defenseman is solid and extremely poised.
   He is no goon, but he has size.  Former CM defensemen include Steve Foster
   (BU'94) who is stronger but not as fluid, Kevin O'Sullivan (BU'93) who was
   quicker but not as big (first team all-Hockey East last year), and Chris
   O'Sullivan (BU'97), someone I think will make all-rookie team and become
   a major force before he is through with college (assuming he stays at least
   three years).
   * Yes, Adam, this is the defenseman you thought was the best high school
     defenseman you had seen*

Mike Sylvia, Catholic Memorial - Second-Team All-Scholastic forward as a junior
   last year.  He is good, but I do not think he will be as much of an impact
   player as Noble or Kealty will be.  In the long line of CM forwards (too
   many to name), he is not as good as Ted Donato (Harvard'91) was, but he will
   be a legit div I player.  I believe he is someone that will stay 4 years.

Chris Kelleher, St. Sebastian's - He's not from Catholic Memorial!!!  I do not
   know anything about him, but I will now make sure I notice if his name comes
   up anywhere.

*note* - The only down side to this report is that a friend of mine who works
   in the athletic dept. says that Kealty has not said anything to BU
   officially yet.  Friends of his have said off-the-record to me that he
   definitely wants to go to BU.  I do not know what to make of it, but he
   wants to go to BU (or so I am told), BU wants him to go to BU, the Globe is
   writing that he has committed, yet my other friend has told me that it has
   not happened yet.  Hopefully it is just a quirk.  The boy is a good player.

note #2 - With only four seniors this year, none of whom will challenge for
   All-American (or all-HE, for that matter), this recruiting class may make
   BU into THE team to be feared next year.  I am not insulting the quality
   of the seniors this year, especially the size and toughness of our captains.
   I am just saying that none of our premier players are graduating.  (Although
   you can always count on at least one good player a year leaving for some
   reason).  This year BU is clearly one of the top three.  I think BU is a
   Phinal Phour team.  The difference is that, not having seen what other teams
   are getting for recruits yet, it looks like BU may be truly loaded next
   year.

Just the humble bablings of a crazed fan...

Tony  BU'92'93
Former Ogre