From:
Tony Biscardi <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tony Biscardi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Oct 1993 18:09:26 -0400
The article about College Hockey Journal had 2 interesting points.

> Top 12 (as chosen by CHJ's national correspondents):
>   1. Lake Superior (16) 320
>   2. Boston Univ (7) 315
>   3. Wisconsin (3) 292
>   4. RPI (1) 211
>   5. Maine (1) 211
>   6. Michigan (2) 164
>   7. Michigan State 164
>   8. Harvard 149
>   9. Miami 119
>  10. Minnesota 92
>  11. Michigan Tech 74
>  12. Clarkson 69
> Others: UNH 49, NMU 40, BGSU 19, UMD 12, Denver 11, UAF 8, UML 8, SLU 4, WMU
> 3.

I must say, I do like the idea of listing the top 12 as opposed to 10 or 15
since, in NC$$ Hockey, 12 teams make it to the tourney.  I guess we're just
obsessed with multiples of our fingers (5, 10, 15, 20, etc) (or toes for that
matter :-)).

> CHJ All-America Team:             (note * This is an "All-American Team")
>
> First Team
>   F Paul Kariya, Maine
>   F Brian Holzinger, BGSU
>   F Chris Marinucci, UMD
>   F Cal Ingraham, Maine
>   F Marko Tuomainen, Clarkson
>   F David Oliver, Michigan
>   D Kaj Linna, BU                              (1 East)
>   D Bob Marshall, Miami                        (1 West)
>   D Chris McAlpine, Minnesota                  (2 West)
>   D John Gruden, Ferris                        (3 West)  hmmm...
>   G Jim Carey, Wisconsin                     (1 West)
>   G Steve Shields, Michigan                  (2 West)  hmmm...
>
> Second Team
>   F Steve Martins, Harvard
>   F Clayton Beddoes, LSSU
>   F Jason Zent, Wisconsin
>   F Jay Pandolfo, BU
>   F Dean Fedorchuk, UAF
>   F Mike Murray, Lowell
>   D Sean McCann, Harvard                        (1 East)
>   D Steve Barnes, LSSU                          (1 West)
>   D Brian Mueller Jr, Clarkson                  (2 East)
>   D Brad Layzell, RPI                           (3 East) hmmm...
>   G Jamie Ram, MTU
>   G Neil Little, RPI

I noticed that they list 3 Western defensemen on their first team All-
American list.  Although I personally strongly agree with this if Kaj Linna
is listed as the best defensman from the East (These repeated accolades
heaped apon Linna convince me that defensemen are rated only on their scoring,
not on their defensive ability as Linna is unfit to carry Rich Brennan's skates
when it comes to defensive ability), there is just one problem with this.
All-American are chosen as an East Team and a West Team, not grouped.
The sum result is that there should be an equal number of players at each
position from east and west.
When I looked at the goalies, both first team ones are from the west (again,
I agree, but the selection process does not work this way), while the
second team is split.

I don't mean to knit-pick, but if this magazine professes to follow college
hockey and inform us, shouldn't they have been following it for a few years
and maybe even be knowledgeable about the specifics of College Hockey?

I just think it is a bad sign.

Tony  BU'92'93
Former Ogre

P.S. - If anyone has read it, please do tell me how it is.  I am going to
keep an open mind, I am just off to a skeptical start.

P.P.S. - Just a thought.  Unrealistic.  But then again...  I have wondered
what could happen if someone grabbed the better Writers from the Hockey-L
and started up an official college hockey production.  Heck, with Mike alone
we could probably outdo anyone in knowledgable journalism.

Throw in a few people to interview players and coaches, get a production
person, promote it (give out first issues free at various hockey games
through-out the nation), and who knows...

Just a thought.  Unrealistic.  But then again...

o o

\_/