From:
Doug Peterson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Doug Peterson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Mar 1993 12:30:17 -0500
The WCHA made the best of a low seeding situation and won all four games
yesterday.

EASTERN REGIONAL

Northern Michigan beat Harvard in double-overtime 3-2.

Minnesota beat Clarkson 2-1.  The comment I heard was that Minnesota started
strong and finished well, but didn't really play the middle.  (There's a theme
here, read on.)

WESTERN REGIONAL

Wisconsin defeated Miami 3-1.

The last goal was a stretched-out-while-being-tripped-golf-shot into the open
net.  Wisconsin came out strong in the first period and went up 2-0 (I think.
I should have been taking notes at the game.  From here on in I'll pretend I
remember.)  Miami countered with a stong second period and closed the game to
2-1.  Wisconsin came out in the third period playing pretty poorly and it
seemed like they might give the game away.  With about ten minutes left in the
game they got their playoff spirit back and regained the momentum.  My vote for
star player in the game was the goalie Carey who kept Wisconsin ahead through
the poorly-played middle of the game.

Duluth (in the end) pounded Brown 7-3

Duluth went up 2-0 in the first few minutes of the game and left the first
period leading 3-1.  It looked like Duluth started out playing only the first
two lines, as if to knock Brown on their backsides right at the start, and they
did.  But later on the other lines started playing and by the end of period
Brown had started to gain their confidence.  By the end of the second period it
was all tied up at three (or was it 4-3, again ...)  The tying Brown goal
coming on an awesome pass-and-one-touch slapshot from the point.  The Duluth
goalie did not really seem into the game until well into the second period.
As with Wisconsin, the Duluth goalie kept them in the game, after he got in
the game.  After the third period was well under way, Duluth finally broke out
of the shell and again put it to Brown.

As with the Minnesota and Wisconsin games, there was about thirty minutes in
the middle of the game where the WCHA team, Duluth in this case, wasn't playing
up to par.  I wonder what the assessment of the Northern Michigan was.  In any
event, you can't win it all unless you play it all.  The WCHA teams better
take this to heart.

Doug P.

Douglas J. Peterson                   Have         _--____    ____
[log in to unmask]            you        `   /  ----        /
Safety Laboratories Department            driven     -/- __  ____ _  /
Ford Motor Company                           a    .  /  / \--/___/ \/
(313) 390-8089            GO GOPHERS!!!           \_/  ,\_/ /    \_/_   lately?